California Flyway Forum Sponsors

From CWA's website written by their Biological staff.....Mallards 7 vs. 5

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by CalBaer, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

Few hundred acres of wheat across from my house has 20plus mall nests . No here close to the “survey zone “ a close by bass pond has 5 nests that I can see. . I saw 2 nests on old houseboats at pine flat yest. Maybe mallards are just smarter than the biologists?

double limit likes this.
  2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I spent some time cruising around the NE Zone in some obscure places this past weekend, put lots of miles on the UTV and every puddle, stock tank, pond, lake, reservoir, creek and river I went by had a pair or multiple pair of mallards on them. Not saying this means the mallards are doing awesome but don't know if this is an area that gets surveyed.......

Calikev likes this.
  3. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

Don`t worry, it`s factored in. :tu

Brottboss likes this.
  4. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

They fly the same transects every year. Those transects cover a lot of ground but not everywhere. The data is for comparison from year to year and that is what establishes the averages. By no means is it ever going to account for birds moving around outside the area and this is another reason why they use the entire PF model vs. just CA.

Birds have wings. They can hide pretty well. It is all just estimates but you can factor in at least they are doing the same thing each year.

mark seaters likes this.
  6. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Haven’t cwa lobbyists been using the science argument to help fight against all the hunting bans that have been coming out of Sacramento. Guess “the board” hasn’t been reading the emails or the cwa magazine that come out. Kinda hurts the argument

7. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

What a sad state of affairs this has become with this entire debacle. It's no wonder why duck hunters are dying out, we can even get on the same page amongst ourselves.

JRS likes this.
  8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Bingo....

This is exactly what I framed up in my letters to Merlo and Carlson. Consistency is important. Our only enemy isn't the loss of habitat or a losing couple of mallards in the bag. It is the anti's circling the wagons.

JRS likes this.
  9. Dan Yparraguirre

Dan Yparraguirre Senior Refuge Member

3 things. I suck at bass fishing. The mallard harvest stats are on the CWA graph in the link in the original post. The survey coverage is in the annual report. Look for the CDFW waterfowl page for the link.

No survey covers 100% of the range of a widespread species like mallards. Instead the survey covers the "more important" areas. This is a cost/time/efficiency issue.

toulon, Huntsprig and Dan Mallia like this.
  10. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

Nice to have a scientific minded individual like DYP contributing.

Dan Mallia and Huntsprig like this.