Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by BB-Shot, Apr 22, 2020.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I am in bad shape here I don't want to surrender but I won't be able to given good reports in the near future. My habitat is being overrun by water just hope they nest high this year it's hasn't stopped filling up. Too much rain last year it was unreal my path got wider and higher to stay out of the muck. So I will not be seeking an other term here at the White House on the Prairie. Twelve years ago it was nothing like it is now I been though the good bad and ugly here. I am not going to be able to stop its eroding all around me history in the making.
    Looking SE the water has been going though that shelter belt all winter there was thin ice in places. DJI_0207.JPG Four large soughs (AKA Lakes) are connected now what ever fish that have been land locked in there sloughs are now free.
    DJI_0208.JPG Looking west looks like prevent planting there not getting to that island this year.
    DJI_0209.JPG Looking north I am sitting right in the middle this its unreal I have to ATV my way around the lake 2 miles.
    DJI_0211.JPG
    Its official I live on a Island.
    DJI_0219.JPG

2. BB-Shot

Boots on the ground pretty much just some plastic saving me when it breaks down I will have to pull the plug.

003.JPG I about did the big one when I seen the extention cord in the water today.
    002.JPG I lost half the dike when the ice dropped some strong NW winds I added two more layers of plastic.
    006.JPG Lost a section in yesterdays high wind.
    007.JPG
    This is not good.
    009.JPG

3. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

I'm sad to see this BB. You've had to endure more than any man should. Good luck bud

4. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

How much has the water gone up in say the last 5-10-15 year periods? Sad to see. Best wishes & good luck!!

5. dan_sd

How we holding up? BB if there's anything I can do or something you need shoot me a pm.

6. BB-Shot

A update on how things are doing here and my apogeeā€™s for not replying back sooner to much work I truly appreciate your concerns. For now the water has stopped rising it has went down since the last time I have been on here. Still has a long way to go last June my lake was 14' in May it was at 17' out in front. It all started in the fall of 2018 rained so much a late harvest then last summer we got dumped on it never stopped. There were famers that just picked there corn in May it was so muddy and wet last year. I know a lot of old people here that lived here all there life and they have never seen the water here this high. In 1927 93 years ago when my house was built there wasn't much water here just small potholes. The plus side of all this new back water sure is producing some ducks been seeing some good size broods. Took sometime today to do a duck count with my drone.

Truman likes this.
  7. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

PLENTY of water there BB. Stay safe and dry.

8. dan_sd

Good to hear that the water is receding a bit for you I hope It continues to improve. Again if there's anything I can do feel free to PM me.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Glad to hear things are improving for you a bit and I hope they continue to do so. :tu:tu