Front bead on a SX2

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Aug 9, 2019.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Looking for info from those who have replaced the front bead on a SX2 or similar. A couple of years ago I knocked the white bead off and all that remains is a metal stud that's about 1/4 - 3/8" tall. I assume that when the front bead was installed at the factory that some type of thread locker was used. If it's going a pain in the azz, I'll just leave it the way it is.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I broke the bead off my SBEII last hunting season. Ended up buying a bead kit with a tap and dye. Didn't like the bead it came with so found a truglo bead I liked better and just used the right screw for the threads I cut. There was a thread about it. I'll see if i can dig it up.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

old bead shank may be rusted in place . try soaking in some breakfree . If not rusted then high heat from a hairdryer or heat gun should loosen it. Replaced my old white one on Browning Gold when it broke w/ brass bead simply because I had one in right thread size.

5. goosegunner1217

goosegunner1217 New Member

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Read the other post, Creedsduckman tried that and couldn't get what was left out, same happens to a lot of people why Brownells sends a drill bit plus tap and die for replacing them. I used to help replace them for the Boy Scout troop in town when they destroyed the beads on .410 shotguns they were learning with, yes back in the day they actually taught Boy Scouts how to shoot. Much easier to just drill them out and replace them

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Being someone who tries all of the new gadgets I went thru all of the Truglows and related sights looking for the magic sight. Then I read some articles from a couple of shooting coaches that recommended no sights at all. Their thoughts were that shooters focus too much on the sights and no enough on the target(bird). I decided to try it out and eliminated all of my beads. I noticed a marked improvement in my percentage of kills per shot. Now my focus is on the bird not the end of my barrel.

callinfowl, dog duck gun and JFG like this.
  8. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Same thing happened on this SX2. Plastic bead broke off, leaving the post. The post would just spin when I went to remove it and replace it. Angle grinder with a cut off wheel solved the problem. That was 10 years ago.

4C479AD6-15AA-4C3D-B74D-E472F2E56053.jpeg

9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator