Fuel While in the field

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by The John, Aug 8, 2019.

1. The John

The John New Member

Hey everyone,
    I am considering bringing along on our hunts some kind of bar or treat for my pup to ensure that she keeps her energy level up and blood sugars in a good place.

What are everyone's thoughts on this (good/Bad) and experiences?

My dog usually hunts once a week (september-->feb) is fairly active, and is two years old. She is not showing any issues (performance or otherwise) but I want to make sure she stays healthy.

Recent picture attached.

Attached Files:

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

There's science to back introducing a glycogen replacement regimen for dogs hunting strenuously for three or more days on end, but it's effectiveness requires administering carbs, like the maltodextrin in "Glyco-Charge," within 30 minutes of the cessation of heavy exercise. So it would be of limited or no value to most retrievers unless they were doing upland work for days on end. (My experience with it and pointing dogs was such that I'd no longer go on a longer than three day upland hunt without it.)

For the most part, though, dogs actually work best on empty stomachs, and the at least one PhD canine nutritionist has opined that if you feel you absolutely have to give a mid hunt treat, it should be something fatty "like sausage".

Doc E likes this.
  3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Rick is correct......^^^^^^^................
    You can go to your local "Brew Shop: and just get some
    maltodextrin --- same active ingredient as GlycoCharge,
    but a whole bunch cheaper.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Body building or athletic training version maltodextrin can also be found appreciably cheaper in quantity, but you'll probably have to bait it with something, as they do GlycoCharge, to get even a thirsty pup to drink enough to be meaningful. Only one of mine drank it straight (in water) and only for a while.

Given how rarely it would actually benefit most of our retrievers (ie: only on three day or longer upland trips), GlycoCharge seems to me a reasonable alternative to having a huge jug of maltodextrin taking up shelf space for years to save a few bucks.

5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Dogs aren't as picky as humans, just grab something. A bag of marshmallows should do the trick. ;)

6. The John

The John New Member

awesome, thanks everyone for the input. =-)

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Dogs really like goose jerky, oatmeal cream pies, nutri grain bars, hot breakfast eggs/sausage.......WAIT, that damn dog is eating all my stuff. :scratch :dohActually, my dog has learned that when the decoys come out, he better eat his dinner the night before.

boodog and Doc E like this.