Full strap & stringer

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Full Strap will be a good choice to get your canvasbacks for sure, especially if you’re willing to give up your other ducks to get them. There’s times/locations you can pretty much guarantee the canvasback, but that may be all you shoot. It’s pretty easy to target them specifically, but that often pigeon holes you for others. As far as shovelers and ringnecks, it just depends, mainly on water level at that time of year. Catahoula may be 10-15ft deep by then, but that generally only increases your canvasback chances as well as ringnecks sometimes. Blue wing is going to be a rarity generally, but possible. Don’t count on that.

RBurg44

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yea not counting on the BW just be cool thats all. What causes the lake to rise? Rain or snow melt from up north? We headed down for 4 days so hopefully thatll be long enough to insure some good hunting weather if we dont have it from the start. Is it pretty easy to tell appart the bull cans from the juveniles?

ducaholic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yea not counting on the BW just be cool thats all. What causes the lake to rise? Rain or snow melt from up north? We headed down for 4 days so hopefully thatll be long enough to insure some good hunting weather if we dont have it from the start. Is it pretty easy to tell appart the bull cans from the juveniles?

Ask for Tiny as your guide. I trained him! He's a stone cold killa!

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
During the fall/winter, the lake is very touchy. A large area of the state and north drains into it which means a heavy region-wide 6" rain can make it shoot up in a matter of hours.

As far as weather goes, this is Louisiana we're talking about. Highs may be in the 70s when you show up. Doesn't really effect the diver shooting though...

I can assure you Canvasback identification will not be an issue.

RBurg44

Refuge Member
Reaction score
During the fall/winter, the lake is very touchy. A large area of the state and north drains into it which means a heavy region-wide 6" rain can make it shoot up in a matter of hours.

As far as weather goes, this is Louisiana we're talking about. Highs may be in the 70s when you show up. Doesn't really effect the diver shooting though...

I can assure you Canvasback identification will not be an issue.
70° hunts in jan!? Wow thatd be a change of pace thats for sure! So would you need lower water levels for the pintails too?

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never know around these parts. Temps can vary wildly with warm fronts. And yes, generally pintail numbers are higher when water is lower.

RBurg44

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Im sending deposit this week for 2nd week in jan. I think we going to be very happy with end result!

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted FSS there 2 years ago. All I will say is take your 3.5 gun and TSS shot. They don't know what working ducks are.

RBurg44

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hunted FSS there 2 years ago. All I will say is take your 3.5 gun and TSS shot. They don't know what working ducks are.
This is the first negative comment ive got bout these guys via here and facebook groups. Care to give me some me details… you can pm if ud prefer not to post here