Funny Goose Hunting Story

nyduck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the main forum, thought you guys may like to read it:

Last weekend, myself and 2 friends were hunting a cornfield in the Susquehanna River Valley here in the Southern Tier of New York. We were only 300 yards from the road on a little rise in the field. We had a spread of 75 full body/shell/silo geese and we had managed to get 5 of our 15 bird limit. We were in whites because we had about 6 inches of fluffy snow.

I saw a truck slow down along the road passing our vehicles and then it turned around and came back and stopped near ours. I got out my binoculars and saw a older woman coming out through the snow towards us. I thought it might be the farmers wife and maybe she didn't know he had given us permission to hunt the field. So my buddies stand up around the dekes and I walk back towards her. We meet while I'm still in ear shot of my buds.

She says, "Are they OK?" I pause for a second and then I say, "Nooooo, some of them are dead." She says, "Oh, that's too bad. Is there anything I can do to help?" I reply "No, we have it under control". She looks over at my buds amongst the dekes and asks, "How did you get so close to them?" At this point my buds are laughing and I can't keep from breaking a smile and I tell her we are hunting and those are decoys. She slaps her forehead and says "Oh God, I feel so foolish, with your white clothes, I thought you were some kind of animal welfare people." I smile again and tell her, "Have a nice day". She walked off shaking her head and talking to herself.

Mark

jlalley

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mark,

If you and your buddies were out on the IBM Country club, then I definitely could see this happening. That's a good one.

Band Buster

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I read it on the main forum and got a good :l :l out of it. Imagine what she told her friends:l :l

luv2seefeathers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mark,

the woman probably has seen you shoot and figured there was no way you could clean kill a bird and figured there must be cripples walking around everywhere . :rolleyes:

JUST FOOLIN. Anyway, a friend of mine saw you guys a few weeks ago out in your field hunting. He was down in another field and shot 3 limits and 2 bands last saturday.

give me a call and i will tell you about it .

See ya
Don