G. Shorthairs

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th, believe me hole in the sky one of the one I have now is enough! For now

I have 2. M&F.
While they they can be a PIA sometimes. I think having the 2nd calmed them down.
If had to do over again, would of gotten female first, then 2 years later, my male.

killerv

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have 2. M&F.
While they they can be a PIA sometimes. I think having the 2nd calmed them down.
If had to do over again, would of gotten female first, then 2 years later, my male.

Got an alert about this thread so I guess I will revive it.

My female is going on a year old now and has been a complete pia. Constantly digs, chews on anything she can reach. She destroyed two dog beds last night. Got my spark plug boot and handle on my blower, hub cap covers off my four wheeler and sxs. Worked on some furniture edges. Chewed up controls on my ztr. Found about a 6ft piece of wire she was dragging around that I think goes to my sprinkler valves. Jumping over my gate on the porch like a dang horse. Now she is getting out of our electric fence chasing deer. I have a 5yo male lab but he cant keep up with her. When do these dang things settle down?

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got an alert about this thread so I guess I will revive it.

My female is going on a year old now and has been a complete pia. Constantly digs, chews on anything she can reach. She destroyed two dog beds last night. Got my spark plug boot and handle on my blower, hub cap covers off my four wheeler and sxs. Worked on some furniture edges. Chewed up controls on my ztr. Found about a 6ft piece of wire she was dragging around that I think goes to my sprinkler valves. Jumping over my gate on the porch like a dang horse. Now she is getting out of our electric fence chasing deer. I have a 5yo male lab but he cant keep up with her. When do these dang things settle down?

I assume this is your first GSP?

GSPs require A LOT of attention. They are extremely active dogs.
If let unattended, they will entertain themselves. Which is exactly what it sounds like she is doing.

As with any dog, Training Training Training.
If you are not proficient, send her to someone.
It really sounds like she is in need.

Best thing I have found for “chewing” is Deer or Elk antlers.
Both of mine love then ( I had my male put down about 2 mounts ago ( kidney failure).

Soggy Socks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got the notification while on my 5.5 mile walk today with my dog in 20 degree sunshine how timely. What the others said is true they need lots of exercise and human contact. When they are done and tired they chill for awhile then start all over. Good luck train the best you can basic obedience(my wife would laugh at that)

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What a puppy needs is a routine badly otherwise they're anxious and dont know why. Anxiety is bad. Having a schedule helps but isn't an end all.
I've no gsp but have a fairly high powered lab.
He chew up things too. Little tags and soft things like the ends of phone chargers etc.
Having a twice a day training schedule...morning then at dusk again kept us civil throughout him growing up. He tore a hole in the carpet...I patched it. I've cleaned that carpet 50 times this year.
16384484289094833279761113455860.jpg

fishmunkee

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My wife and son stopped complaining about the pup chewing stuff up when I reminded them that it wouldn't have gotten chewed up if it had been put away properly vs. left laying around.