G. Shorthairs

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I run with my dog every day, remember you don't have a lab.
This. People who have had labs in the past are never quite ready for the energy difference between the breeds, at least the people I know that have made the switch. Versatile dogs need exercise every day to keep them "occupied" otherwise they tend to listen to the devil on their shoulder. I will say that at about 2 years, they slow down a bit, not to a labs level, but a bit.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The last two Shorthairs I had were from good hunting stock , brother and sister they were , it was interesting training them as they were very different in
the style way they hunted . Bo (the male) was 10 lbs larger , kind of a big bone headed dog with a wonder tracking nose in which he ran with his nose on the
ground . Sissie was a stylish shorthair big liver spots over white , with a white tail ! She ran like a English Pointer , head high changing her position with the
breeze but like a (geiger counter) , that tail would indicate how close she was to the bird ! Both would Honor each other , when one locked-up , so would the
other . The pair filled all my dreams of hunting wild Pheasants , Chucker and Quail and after 12 years of service , they both went to the happy hunting grounds
2 months apart !
Different Breeds for different jobs , All are valuable doing the job they were bread for !

Soggy Socks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like my last pair that went in 2014 miss them a lot, 2 months apart and all. The new guy keeps me busy.

Latest posts