Gadwall Poses... anything unique?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Jan 11, 2020.

1. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Thinking about getting a Gaddy from this fall done. Got him in the freezer, but not positive. I've shot a lot of gadwall, so it's not a unique species for me, but the fluff head on this thing was the best I've ever seen. Picture doesn't do much for it.

Anyway I've extensively googled mount pictures to see what might work well for a gadwall. I think flying might be best since the only real color is the bronze speculum which gets hidden a bit on a standing mount. There's not a lot out there for this particular species. Anyone got anything cool? Here's the bird and the pose I'm leaning towards...
    20191026_112832.jpg 9f22cddd533184b05bd5cebebb9b7e25.jpg

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member

If you do a search for flying Gadwall, you will notice the head is not "puffy" like the mount posted. Taxidermists can take artistic license and mount a bird in any pose a customer may want, which doesn't mean it's a bad mount, just that it doesn't always mean it will be "accurate". If the puffy head is your main reason for wanting to get it mounted, a standing, sitting, swimming type pose would show it off the best......or quite honestly the pose of your actual bird would make a cool dead mount IMO.

[​IMG]

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

This was what I was thinking when I saw this thread earlier. I even googled images of dead mount gadwall. Some looked pretty nice. (I am partial to dead mounts, even though I don't own any stuffed birds)

That is the way 'I' would go.

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

Thanks for the input guys, especially the reality check on the flying head puff.. I don't hate the thought of a dead mount, problem is my wife hates all mounts, but flat despises dead mounts :z
    She likes standing poses best, so maybe that'll be an option too. I just really like that bronze speculum and would hate to hide it. Maybe this one just doesn't make it to wall either idk...

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Add a wing stretch or wing preen to the standing mount, problem solved.

6. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I ve had a lot of gadwall go through my hands. I got a male many years ago that was just spectacular in all plumage. After considering all the options I went with a standing mount on a nice piece of driftwood. Im looking at it now. Im not sure I would change a thing about it. I dont post pics or would post it. .

7. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

9C97ABC5-C2AC-4803-B8EA-3CDC91D7E2B3.jpeg Pic is a little grainy but this turned out great.

texduk3 and Native NV Ducker like this.
  8. Wild Rice

Wild Rice Senior Refuge Member

You didn't shoot that in Minnesota, did you?

9. SkolMNDuckHunter

Nope, a little further west.

10. Rainem

Rainem Refuge Member

Not a gadwall but this is a pose I did on a few different birds. Once one person saw it other wanted it.

Attached Files: