Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Gas Build Up

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by BlackLegendGauge, Jun 15, 2020.

1. BlackLegendGauge

BlackLegendGauge Senior Refuge Member

I have a 5 year old BL that is soon to be 6 in October.

This past year we have had to take him to the vet 3 times for extreme gas build up. He is 120lbs and lean so when his belly/intestines seem to bloat it is very noticeable.

He drinks water like a lunatic and therefore most likely swallows a bunch of air but he has always done that. I am curious if switching food from a higher protein to something closer to a prescription dog food might be best. With that said most I have found are $100 a bag and again, he is 120lbs.

If anyone has had any experience like this with solutions I would be very interested to hear about it.

2. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

What did the vet say?

3. BlackLegendGauge

BlackLegendGauge Senior Refuge Member

Vet says to switch to a dietary prescription dog food. Around here Vets answers are simple. Steroids, painkillers, and follow ups. Last time this happened I spent 1200$ for them to keep him over all night. They pumped fluids into him and gave him a dam horse sedative. My fiancé took him in this morning and for some dam reason they gave him a painkiller shot. Which I am not happy about.

It really just started happening this past year and have gotten not a single bit of affirmation on what or why it could be happening.

4. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

I would go see another vet and see if they can figure it out

Birdcrazy likes this.
  5. duckme

duckme Elite Refuge Member

Maybe diabetes?

6. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i bet they told you to switch to a $100+ per bag of food from them. sounds like you need to find a new vet ASAP