Gas cap problem

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any tricks to the gas cap situation. 45000 mile tundra tells me the cap isn’t tight, turn off engine check, it’s tight to the one click. Caused the check engine light, cancelled it, shows the same this morning, gas cap loose, no CEL. This afternoon CEL is on. I picked up a new cap still in plastic(hopefully can return it), I carburetor cleaned the old one then slightly oiled the O ring. Should I cut my losses and replace it or see what the code does? Thanks guys....

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I failed to properly secure the gas cap on a Toyota camery and it threw a gas cap code. Sure enough, I had it kinda cross threaded.

Re-thightened the cap and problem went away after a few minutes.

Now, my ford, that “loose gas cap” code is some BS.

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. When I put the new cap on, it was definitely tighter and fixed the issue. I used an OEM cap.
Thank you all, Yeah I bought OEM, $35 nowadays, I’m just being cheap hoping there’s a trick out there before I punch the plastic. Definitely gonna cut the tether off the new one, darn thing seems to always push the door out. Oleww, yeah I hear ya, gonna pick up a decent(beyond the basics) code reader soon, seems to be the way to figure out these new machines. Looking at the Innova 5610 something or other, has the ABS brake bleed function. The vehicle code scanners have defeated my google ninja, every time I think I got it dialed in the reviews crush me... tough decisions, but life is good everyday, all day.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My gas cap says no E15. What do I do when that is all that is offered because of president dementia?

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Don,t know about your vehicle but on a ford Expedition I use to have that threw that code i,d simply unhook battery cable and leave off for about 5 minutes . When rehooked code was gone and wouldn,t come back sometimes for 8 months. First time it happened I had it worked on by shop (I got worked) but never again in the 10 years I owned that trk.

400Short

Reaction score
My gas cap says no E15. What do I do when that is all that is offered because of president dementia?
Pure-gas.org lists by state and province where ethanol free gas is sold. It’s mostly 91 octane so it’s gonna cost ya.

Latest posts