Gas vs Inertia

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

I prefer gas guns for 2 reasons.
    Gas operated = less recoil.
    With the gas mechanism out front, it adds more weight out front and and swings better for me.
    Cleaning is a non-issue. I can completely strip and clean in about 20 minutes.

Ratdaddy likes this.
  2. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

My issue with gas guns is reliability in the cold. My Super X 2 is an awesome gun and very reliable until the temps drop. At about 30 degrees is starts balking. I can clean it right there in the field and 5 shots later it will not feed into the chamber. I'm thinking the Super Vinci will alleviate this issue when cold. The Winchester gets stripped clear down and all springs and moving parts cleaned. I've run it wet, slightly oiled and dry and get the same results. It has Sure-cycle springs installed and did not help. So I've decided it
    s just an early season gun. Which sucks because I shoot it very well.

3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

All my semi autos are gas operated or should I say they just happened to be. I’ll shoot anything if it feels right. I do want an auto 5 or a remmy 11 for nostalgia purposes.

Waxed Canvas likes this.
  4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I’m suspicious of any anecdotal stuff about guns that won’t run JUST because it’s cold. The gun doesn’t hate the cold. Something in it or on it is causing an issue with allowing it to do what it’s made to do, but it’s not just because the gun can’t run in freezing temps.

5. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Exactly! There is another cause, not the cold, but that exacerbates the problem.

JP and 5 stand like this.
  6. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I've shot inertia guns and owned a few but had one gas which was a sx3... but I shouldered a a400 xtreme plus today at sportsmans while shopping for my father in law for fathers day I was about to buy the a400 plus it shouldered nice... even tho i still want semi 20 right now... that beretta was a fine gun to shoulder

7. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

If browning could have figured out how to make a 3-1/2” Auto5 they would still be years ahead of the competition! I wish they could have pulled of a Auto 10 gauge! Gas guns are junk unless you are a mechanic! I own a bunch of both, but prefer the mechanical Auto 5 over everything, just wish they made a 10 Gauge in it!

jamescd1 and THEIRCOMMITED10 like this.
  8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I don’t have an issue with all gas guns or all inertia guns. Just some specific designs and details. If you’ll learn to run a gun, the gun will run for you. Some are better at some things than others, and some take more care than others. Other types aren’t bad because they aren’t as functionally infallible as a long recoil, because they can get as infallible as 90% of shooters will ever know, and be lighter (usually) and easier to produce and own. Mostly it’s horses for courses, as few are as hard on a shotgun today, as a market hunter was in 1925.

JP, THEIRCOMMITED10 and Bigshot75 like this.
  9. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

I know two men who hunt with A5 3.5’s and have zero issues. One hunts with us and the other is my cousin. We’ve had issues with my M2 though——-hanging up during break-in, Benelli Click and bolt handle falling out.

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Inertia is more reliable and need to be cleaned less. Gas Guns are more enjoyable to shoot.

I shoot both, but my go to is still a SBE2 because it never hangs up on me like every gas gun I’ve owned likes to do.