Gas vs Inertia

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

FWIW: A squirt of oil to fix an issue after it happens, should be the reminder to do your gun maintenance BEFORE you need it. The banded blackduck that’s flying away because of a gun malfunction, might be a sign. ;)

....and yet, there’s probably just gonna be another thread n here blaming a gun for missed opportunities.

***I’m NOT saying don’t keep oil around. It’s always good to be prepared to address mechanical issues. Good oil, rags, and a Rapid Rod, will take care of most things that arise. Allowing your gun to sit around overnight, full of any concoction of water, mud, field debris, powder, etc, is idiotic.

Tuleman and JP like this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Much rather be a FI than FE...

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

For some reason I recall the high volume dove shooting operations in South America use inertia guns namely Benellis ? 1500 + rounds per day any truth to that

ronaldo and BAYDOG like this.
  4. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Check out the dovenator on YouTube. Winchester SX3 20 gauge. I think he used 4 guns and averaged 18 doves a minute in 14 hours. Pretty good gas gun.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  5. ALMODUX

Well, maybe that’s a step. LOL

We aren’t talking about going out and sitting in a nice, clean, dry blind and firing 5-10 shots here. We’re discussing exposure to lots of crap after a day in the rain, mud, field chaff, sand, salt, etc.
    I just fail to comprehend how some would embrace how spectacularly easy to clean a certain firearm design might be, then STILL fail to even just hose it out and put it muzzle down on a rag for the night. I mean, if it took an hour, half hour, or even 15min you didn’t have, then I could get the logic. If it’s <2 minutes, I don’t get it. Never will.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. ALMODUX

There are likely many guns, gas or whatever that’d last on those volume dove shoot uses. Some would be harder to keep clean than others, but none are getting truly abused....just shot. I think it might be as much a combination of what they can import and cost vs reliability/durability, with regards to what they use. Seems many of them also have lots of old Auto 5s around, IIR some of the stories correctly.

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’ve never had an issue with that in the blind, so I wouldn’t know.

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

You are correct, mostly Montefeltros.

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Way too much is made of gas versus inertia from a maintenance standpoint and reliability. I have Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus, piece of cake to clean. Ran 500 rounds last two weekends without a hiccup, still looks like barely shot. Didn't clean between except wipe down the stock and receiver. Gas v inertia is the same as Ford v Chevy, Blonde v Brunette, all personal preference. If you get a good one and do a little something maintenance wise they will all last and perform.

ronaldo and Dr Swane like this.
  10. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

I thought this also. Could be a wore out part or to weak of a load. Win action is the same a browning gold. Great design, but part do go bad.