Gas vs Inertia

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Dr Duk, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

While "weaned" on a borrowed hammer-"safetied" crack-barrel, my first upland gun purchase was a tang-safetied (and double-triggered) 20ga double that I shot for years. Initially tried adding a bigger-bored Model 37 for turkey and waterfowl but soon replaced it with a tang-safetied Model 500. Had other issues with the Model 37, but then going to the only tang-safetied pump I'm aware of little doubt also spoke to a desire to ease the transition when switching up guns: say when heading to the grouse woods after a morning with geese. Would think the fact that I'm still shooting my deer with a tang-safetied Model 77 purchased around that same time says much the same.

In any event, a decade or so of shooting a SXS early and often apparently didn't do pecans for my safety transitions. Drat the bad luck.

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

BPS much?

OTOH, some folks just have coordination issues. LOL

had many tang 77s, a bolts, win 70s, side sliders, ARs, front, rear....location never bothered me enough to miss anything or get shot first....just lucky, I guess. ;)

JP, mudhen and black brant like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My bad, I should have used the past tense, as I don't recall the apparently then-new BPS being an option. Certainly know about them now, as I've cleared dropped shells from the lifters of more than a few guests' 3 1/2" version Browning pumps.

4. ALMODUX

Stuff happens with most things 12ga 3.5. FWIW, there were 2.

JP likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I know it's not relevant but there were some pumps with tang safeties made for Montgomery Wards and similar stores in the 60's. I think they were made by Stevens. My dad still has one. Similar to Mossberg making the 500 for Coast to Coast hardware and it being relabeled the master mag. I still have 2 old Stevens pumps with tang safeties as well.

Agreed. IMO 3.5" BPS 12's suck. The lifters just aren't designed right for the longer shells. The 3" are great reliable guns.

JP likes this.
  6. ALMODUX

the first ones were 10ga frames, converted to 12ga 3.5.....never saw an issue. It was the later, upsized 3”12ga framed 3.5” bps guns that had some issues.....but only when run slow. Run fast, they seemed to be fine.

mudhen and JP like this.
  7. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

I had a BPS in 12 ga 3.5' and a 10 ga.
    I can still feel the recoil 25 years later.:fp

460 magnum likes this.