Gauge reducing tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

https://www.gunadapters.com/smooth-bore-adapters/

Anyone have any experience with these short tubes? Price is right at less then $30 per tube!! Briley's short tubes are about twice as long but also about $300 per set...

I have my Grandfathers old Knickerbocker SxS 12 with 2.5 inch chambers and a gunsmith(since passed on , God rest his' Soul) told me I should probably turn it into a wall hanger.

But I'm thinking it might be reasonably safe to shoot 20 or 28 gauge thru either these or the Briley adapters?

I assume that you would lose a fair amount of velocity with the short chambers then a jump to the larger bore?

Anyone have experience with the short tubes? I know you can get the full length tube sets from Briley but I can but a new gun cheaper then that so that's not a wise option.

2. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 sets of Briley Sidekicks for my Kolar. I used the original set for several years but decided to try to 2.0 version when they came out.

I've had great results with both sets in both 20 ga and 28 ga. I've won quite a few sub gauge sporting clays events and put up a few straights in the process. Tried the 410's once but didn't feel like I was getting decent patterns with them.

Can't say if velocities are impacted. Never tested them.

On the plus side, they are cheaper than buying an entire gun and they are easy to travel with.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Go with Brileys, these cheap tubes aren’t what you want.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I thought about those a couple of decades ago, when I bought my Briley tubes. As per the advice above, bite the bullet and get the briley's. I have used them in 3 different O/U's, SKB, Citori, and Baikal. Fit is perfect in all of them, and, yes, I have won some events using them also.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The short "skeeters", while being cheaper, are less effective than full-length tubes.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Those things are not worth the money you pay for. It's a gimmick. Pass on that purchase and you will be happy.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever wasted appox. $60 ? If not, get a set of these tubes . First time for everything .

8. Fowler267

Its an interesting concept. For the old gun I have and also a ten gauge that I plan to buy. It would be nice to be able to shoot some skeet with the 10 with the reduced gauge tubes and 12 gauge bird shot.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Aslong as your thoughts of shooting light Clay target lead loads in this gun , you should be ok but remember , 20 and 28 gauges have a higher chamber
    pressure ! Another way of making this gun useful is to have the chamber sleeved and Briley can do that too ! JMO

10. Fowler267

Well I stumbled upon another option for the old SxS... Brass 2.5 shells and black powder. I had no idea that it was possible to reload brass shells but I have watched a few videos for the shells and the guns they were intended for. Mine was designed for smokeless but the BP would be fun, short enough and low pressure.