California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gear review

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by hunt'ngreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

Got an early Christmas present, a folding chair which puts my rear end above my knees. When sitting on anything that is lower I can't raise up without having something to grab on to. Ducks won't wait till I get this old bod up and ready to go. Now I can get up, sometimes without tipping over. The balance stinks. Have been blown clear off my feet twice this year, being off balance when firing a second or third shot. My grandson Tyler is there in a split second to pick up the remains. Wish it could have been filmed. Worth a lot of laughs. Thanks Santa and Steve and Tyler. The chair was purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse. It folds flat and a tad on the heavy side, being very strong.

DuckFan, Ramblingman and Dan Mallia like this.
  2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Got a chair like that a couple years ago from eBay. Like ya say it’s a tad heavy so I throw it on the decoy cart for the hike and out.

3. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

The Finisher ..... Finally got to try it out on a 12 lb honker .... After this honk beat the crap outta me with its wings I was able to use the finisher on him ... Quick , clean death , no blood ..... Found the dip at the back of skull inserted finisher , twisted back and forth and that was it , no flapping nothing , just dead ....really works good and easier than breaking a neck on a honker for sure ... I buy the cheap 2nds for 5 bucks and paint them black myself .... Worth 5 bucks not 20 or 25 ...great tool

mudhen and afmoto like this.
  4. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how I forgot to mention my new Swarovski 8X25 binoculars?? Absolutely amazing. Never thought you could get that kind of clarity from compact glass. Makes my Steiner predator pros look like $10 Tascos from WalMart.

5. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

1. Beretta A400. A+ Going on 4 seasons, I have had zero.......not even one shell catch in in this year. Probably 2 in the life of the gun. Then again I do clean it a few times a year. Amazing fowling piece. Love it
    2. Cabelas dry plus waders - C- Ehhhh serviceable at best, baggy, don't fit great, delicate and cheap shoulder straps. Dont love them.... dont love sitka enough to spend 900 on waders.
    3. Avian x fullbody specks. A Love em. first full year under the belt, probably hunted them in 10 different setups this year, washed em all down the other day and they look darn near brand new. The bags they come with are a little flimsy and need to be a CH taller.
    4. Tanglefree backpack- A+... awesome, year 5 and you cant kill that thing. Its faded and old but every single part still works.
    5. Cabelas Dry plus bibs - D- Blow goats..... i got soaked in em in a good rain storm and I literally froze my @$$ off. will upgrade to sitka here.
    6. Kuiu Yukon Rain Jacket - A+ unreal. This thing was punished on 3 different sideways rain days this year. I was bone dry. Also love the Kuiu under layers. I find I have to take them off in mid morning most times, too warm.
    7. Boruit Headlamp - A . Awesome piece, a little too bright sometimes. Love that its rechargeable. Sometimes wish the power button was harder to reach as it sometimes will get turned on in my pack and run out. Quick re charge and good to go.
    8. Old Columbia Omni tech shell with silver foil lining. A+ still one of my favorite pieces of waterfowl gear of all time. Stupid warm, super thin and I love the old school camo pattern, looks just like rice.
    9. Herters Backpack run n gun style layout blind - A+ . Really like these things, wish cabelas still carried them. I bought 5 when they were on sale and i think they have been discontinued unfortunately. For 50 bucks, hard to beat, lightweight, packable, super low pro and great hide in almost any conditions and it has stubble straps if needed. I got rid of most of my full sized layouts after using these.
    10. Hevi Metal - B - Still a great shell and I find it kills mid air cleanly.... but their price increases dont align with the quality for me any longer. Unless on sale at 180/case or less I will continue with kents.

6. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Elite Refuge Member

1. SBE3 - Nothing negative to say about it at all. Been a solid gun and a pleasure to shoot.
    2. Wad Wizard Supreme Choke - Devastating, love it.
    3. Sitka Zip Waders - Best waders I have ever worn and if they make it past the last weekend, they'll be the first waders I've purchased that made it a whole season without leaking.
    4. Sitka Timber Pack - I'd give it a B+. I like it, but it needs to be bigger with more compartments and the top needs to be waterproof.
    5. Duck Water 2-Man Layout - Comfy, but heavy and a pain to offload/load. Definitely wish we would have went with two single UFO's, next season.
    6. Avian-X Bluebills - Perfect, in every way. Hope they come out with some more diver decoys this year.
    7. MoMarsh Dog stand - I like it, my dog likes it too.

Ramblingman and partyfowl like this.
  7. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

Higdon Battleship Wigeon. Survived their first season in the rice without fading or sinking. Happy with the size. Will buy more.

8. shoots&misses

shoots&misses Senior Refuge Member

:l:l:l:l:l

9. George

George Elite Refuge Member

What ?... No more bucket ?... What's the name of that chair/seat ?

10. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

Steve bought this chair for me George at Sportsman's warehouse and the brand name is Rustic Ridge. I checked on line and saw one similar made by the same company but lightweight for dove hunting. Mine has a slight slope to it, with the back crossbar being slightly higher than the front. It cost about $12 which seems very reasonable( maybe mismarked)? The one on line through Sportsman's warehouse is about $9. Two different chairs I believe. Hope this helps. Larry