California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gear review

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by hunt'ngreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Peter S.

Peter S. Refuge Member

These any better than the Lucky Duck Dabbler? I may be in the market for one of these to add to our motion. Spinning Wing decoys just don't get it done around our parts in big duck season. We suck em in pretty good with a jerk rig. Thinking about doing another jerk rig, but these peaked my interest...

2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Jerk rigs work the best IMO but are cumbersome and hard to use in some areas. We jump around a lot hunting different habitat types so in some areas a jerk string just doesn't work well as we may be too far back in thick bulrushes and the line just can't go through all that right.

The Crazy Kicker runs a long time on a battery and has some great motion. Biggest complaint was the size of it and the stability of it. What happened to mine is it got the line wrapped up and essentially pulled itself over. I run swivels on it but the line twist created a knot with weeds so it dumped itself. It worked ok after but after sitting for a week the motor seized up on one side. The big hammer they sell if for bigger water where waves can swamp the thing. If running a boat set up or a big cart it would be fine but trying to keep it light I don't need to pack a sledge hammer with me.

The other issue with splasher type decoys is some can throw too much water on themselves and that can shine. Personally I didn't see an issue with that but some guys truly believe that spooks the birds. I make the argument that splashing ducks have water all over them which shines anyway but the shine on wet plastic is probably their biggest issue. Flock the thing and that problem goes away.

I tossed mine though and I am going to use something else. Might go back to a jerk cord or run a jerk cord and if not ok for it in the area I'm hunting then have another option with me. A Pulsator will probably work ok. I'm probably going to make something on my own.

Kevin

3. Whatever

Whatever Senior Refuge Member

Nothing works better than a screaming wind. I hunted a couple times (and only a couple) where the birds landed on top of us with the blind covers still down, and just a couple wind ducks out. Otherwise, the birds were always on to us as I recognized their faces from prior weeks.

Peter S. likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Seriously a hammer was their idea of a fix? BAWHAHAHAHAHAW!!!!!
    Talk about a bunch of stupid rednecks, a hammer, really??? :doh:doh:doh
    That is pretty freak'in retarded.:yes:l:clap:bow:flame:z:nutz:reader

Peter S. likes this.
  5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Another thumbs up for the Rio Blue steel.. SON! I think they have had some issues in the past but I have shot a bunch of it and it rocks. Just ordered 2 more cases. 9 bucks a box delivered and no tax.

thekillerofmallard likes this.
  6. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

every bird I killed this yr was with Rio's. Not saying how many cause someone will over bid my blind and take it from us.:no:no:no:no

7. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

I manufacture chairs.. just a heads up. There are literally no camp chairs that are manufactured here in the USA...

8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Yep.........a big sledge hammer looking thing that threads into the base to keep it stable. Then the whole thing weighs like 20 pounds. As soon as I took it out the box I tossed the hammer to the side. No way was I going to pack that thing. Dumb.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

A 4 ft rod with a eyelet on top works better than a heavy weight and having 2 is better yet , no matter where you hunt !
    Naturally , good bungee cords are needed .

10. fiveseas

fiveseas New Member

Thanks for the tip ordered one and found it comparable to headlamps that start at $50.00 plus.