California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gear review

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by hunt'ngreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Bought some mittens, the ones that the finger cover folds back to allow use of your digits, got em at wallmart.
    Best thing is, they have short lines between 3 fingers so when you want to take them off you can pull on the strings instead of turning them inside out. Love em, insulated, camo, but they need velcro on the back to keep the finger cover from flopping around when not in use. I know, its a simple thing, but makes a world of difference.

2. KJGoose1253

KJGoose1253 New Member

The hammer was designed to prevent the decoy from flipping over in high winds or waves/current. If your decoy flipped over due to you throwing away the hammer weight and not using it, that really doesnt surprise me that you had the issues you that you had. Adding the new motors takes about 7 minutes as well. If you have any further questions I would be happy to assist you, please email me Kile@HigdonDecoys.com

3. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

To paraphrase, the guy said it sucks for walk in hunting and you responded by saying either use the hammer or it sucks. :l:l:l

4. KJGoose1253

KJGoose1253 New Member

To paraphrase, I only saw the comment of throwing away the hammer.. it was designed to serve as a counterweight to prevent it from tipping. Just like the keels on your decoys. New XS Pulsators weigh 6 pounds, I would go that route for walking in.

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I was hunting in pretty shallow water so I don't think the hammer would be the best of choice in that situation. Probably makes more sense in deeper water and not on a walk in type hunt. Pulsator makes more sense for me I think. I was surprised by the overall weight of the unit when I first got it expecting it to be lighter like a Wonderduck. It is a much better quality built unit than a Wonderduck but really not suited for the mobile walk in type hunter in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin