California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gear review

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by hunt'ngreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Boruit headlamp $25 on Amazon. A rechargeable fog burner that’s going strong.

2. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

You may have a point about a hard rain...LOL

3. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Not long at all I'd say it was ready to go in an hour possibly sooner.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. SpoonySmacker

SpoonySmacker Senior Refuge Member

Winchester SX4 has been great! Cycles flawlessly and love how the Bolt firmly slams shut on this thing. Points better for me than my Montefeltro due to the higher robber barrel and has helped me be on target consistently. Just getting used to how quickly it gets dirty compared to an inertia gun.

Momarsh Invisilab. Best investment this year. Folds up nicely and easy, quick set up in the field. Keeps the dog concealed and dry. She likes it much better than laying in the jet sled. Also gives me more options as to where I can set up in free roam. No longer have to worry about depth where I put her.

Dakota fully flocked mallards. Late season purchase, and bummed I waited so long. Look very realistic and can’t wait to ran a few more for next year.

Higdon Pulsator 2. The eyelet screws on the bottom somehow have become stripped and no longer deal the bottom to the decoy. My Pulsator 1 is a beast and still is flawless after multiple seasons. Will end up having to export the bottom of the Pulsator 2 this off season.

Also, buying the Delta wading jacket this off season. Frogg Toggs shell did not hold up to my abuse. Wore through the elbows.

5. Whatever

Whatever Senior Refuge Member

Banded waders getting tossed! Sx3 and Sx4 are great guns...sitka waterproof caps are the best.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Not to be a fanboy, but I am loving my Sitka. Last year I ran the Hudson over a Duck Oven. This year I finally got the Delta Wading Jacket I've been wanting (it's basically a cut down Hudson without insulation) and have hunted down into the 20s and high teens with it, layered over the Duck Oven. Love the combo.

I am also a convert to breathable waders this year. Got a pair of Herters for $79 that Cabelas was closing out last year. Have worn neither my 3.5mm nor my 5 mm waders this year, even when it has been damn cold. Breathables with proper layering underneath are where it is at.

Just bought new Michelins for the RAM 1500 and I am very much liking them. I was going to the All Terrain tire route but I just didn't want to have loud tires and give up 2-3 mpg. The Michelins are an All-Season tire and thus far seem to do quite well in rain, sleet, ice and snow. They are quiet and ride smoooooooth. The tires are Defender LTX / MS.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    California Flyway likes this.
  7. laughing mallard

laughing mallard Elite Refuge Member

Sitka waders, pricey but have held up well and are dang comfortable.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Hevi-X may be pricey but it thumps ducks and geese. Polaris Ranger :tu - why did I wait so long to upgrade from a quad expecially when it rains?

9. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

I liked the Flambeau 26" Super Magnumn Mallard from Walmart. You can fit a dozen in a large decoy bag then in a jet sled.

callinfowl and freefall like this.
  10. ShootinCoot

ShootinCoot Senior Refuge Member

A400 Xtreme (not the + @Flyfisher ): 9
    Sikta Delta Wading: 10
    Cade's Marsh Magic Call Lanyard: 10
    Cabela's Armorflex Waders: 9 **4 years going strong
    Rio's: 7
    Kent Faststeel: 9
    Jetsled: 10
    Walkers Silencers: 5

Squaller and Flyfisher like this.