Rute3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wish I could find SIQZ numbers from the same time period to compare with Swan
B65EBC12-3902-4DEE-9A2B-9172273AEA26.png

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Lots of geese high from the south hit Coffeen today!!!! On the Missouri forum there’s an awesome thread on Swan Lake. Lots of great information
Whites or darks? I’m goin to pick up a blind in the morning from a guy. I may head your way with some binos. Nothing over here today. Just flying high headed north and south

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 329537 View attachment 329537 I’d imagine some made the trek to southern Illinois this year with the snow.Wish it would get back to the good ole days
What a difference in numbers from 1980, to 2000, to 2020, huh ?

I'm sure I appreciated what I witnessed back then, but in a way, I wish I appreciated it more, knowing what I know now.
Thanks for posting that.

ixkaped2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Those geese didn't wait on weather. When October came and the young ones were flying good they headed south.

Rute3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly an old guide told me the first James Bay geese would show up at Horseshoe around September 15 every year.

mrmallerd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly an old guide told me the first James Bay geese would show up at Horseshoe around September 15 every year.

There was always an article in The Southern Illinoisian when the first groups arrived. Season came in around the last week in October & normally Southern Ilinois had close to 100,000. Now, 1,000 would be HUGE.

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The following two messages I received last night from a mentor of mine who I’ve learned a ton from over the past twenty years or so…..some of you on here know him and have hunted with him in the past. We got talking of this thread, and I sent him a screen shot of Rute3’s count pages, and got these in response…..

In those days we rarely killed geese here.
They over flew us for the horseshoe lake and crab orchard refuges. I had the privilege of hunting just about every club that adjoined those refuges at one time or another as dad worked details on them. If the team worked east we hunted west and vice versa just to stay above board.

Canada Geese started showing up on the week of September 22 - every year like clock work.

I used to lay in bed with my head to the screen window and listen to them migrating at night. It was always special to hear that first honk.

There would be a light migration in September followed by a slightly heavier one in October with the main flight between thanksgiving and December 15th depending on weather north of us. It wasn’t uncommon to see geese horizon yo horizon most of the day when the main push came.

Mole board plowing was still common and the prevalent method of tillage and nearly every corn field from here to Wisconsin was plowed with zero stubble exposed just days after harvest. Exposed corn stubble was RARE. Back then farmers were judged by how soon they got their crops in the ground and the ground turned over after harvest.

Those refuge numbers started sliding down in 1985. They dropped precipitously in 1987 and I think it was 88 we got the January 31 goose season implanted here.

In 1990 we refuged over 100k geese on the pecan island. They never left the entire month of December and January. The refuged on ice when it froze and watered on the river bends.