Getting ready

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Talked to our loan officer at the bank in Ennis yesterday and she got the appraisal back for our house construction project. She said the numbers are excellent, so now it gets reviewed by a third party and we set the closing. I also talked with our contractor yesterday and he said as soon as that is done he'll order the trusses and windows. He also said if the weather holds like it has been they can start the slab work much earlier than anticipated. If they can do that the building shell might be in place up to a month and a half earlier than anticipated and we are good with that! At this rate there's no reason this whole project won't be done by the end of the summer and then I can start concentrating on filling the freezer with deer and elk meat.

For now I'll just have to keep restocking my fly box in anticipation of poking holes in the faces of trout when we get there in April as soon as the RV park opens. Started with purple bead head pheasant tails, which were a great fly all of last year. Got 50 of them done, which is good enough to start with, and now it'll be on to do 50 natural colored bead head pheasant tails. If I can average a dozen flies a day for the next 2 months I'll be all set for the summer.

Purple BHPT Done.jpg

QuaaackerJack and MarshmanDon like this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My daughter (lives in MT) is getting married in the Paradise Valley (Chico Hot Springs) in Sept. I might just have to swing over on my way and check out the progress on your house.

Glad things are going well with it.

3. Mean Gene

Come on by!

MarshmanDon likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Purple is an unappreciated color. I have found it to be the go-to color in the Bitterroot.

MarshmanDon and Mean Gene like this.
  5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

So you are only tying an hour a day?

When I lived in Tennessee I tied about 2000-3000 a year.

6. Mean Gene

It'll depend on the day I suppose. Us old guys have to pace ourselves. :l When I sit down I average about a dozen flies an hour. Depending on the pattern that could be more, or less.

7. Mean Gene

Purple worked great for us last year. Another good one is a purple wiggle tail tied on a wide gapped, short shanked hook.

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I’m just teasing you. Bead head pheasant tail was one of two main patterns I fished in Tennessee (also zebra midge) so I know it well. Lots of big fish on those flies. Even hooked a rainbow pushing 30” one day. Would catch so many fish on one fly the teeth of the fish would eventually shred the pheasant tail fibers and tying thread to the point it would fall apart. Would save the hook and bead and retie the fly as the bead and hook where the most expensive components. I would buy hooks and beads in bulk by the hundreds to save money. I was always looking for low cost materials suppliers and would buy out whole lots if someone was going out of business. Glad I’m out of that game these days.

9. Mean Gene

I'm seriously considering tying flies all year long and then selling them each year. 300 dozen sold would pay for a nice ocean fishing trip each year. :tu

H20DAD likes this.
  10. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Also the color of the Baltimore Ravens
    Can't wait till next season Ducks and
    A chance to be playing the last game
    Of the season!