Getting the dove field started earlier this year.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by no harm-no fowl, Apr 3, 2021.

1. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Well it's that time of year again. Changing it up a bit, eventhough last year was very successful. That's the reason for the earlyer start.
    This year I'm going to plant a couple of rows of oil sunflowers on either side of the buckwheat that I'll plant the last week of may or the 1st of June. Today I worked up the soil in hopes of getting the sunflowers planted as soon as the frost free date comes. I want them to mature as early as possible, the buckwheat will hold the doves if the sunflowers get eaten up by the birds.
    20210403_143515.jpg 20210403_143733.jpg
    We had some amazing shoots out of this field last year, I should of done it years ago.

Here is a link the how the field turned out last year. I couldn't of ask for better results.
    https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/just-got-my-dove-field-all-set-up.1060605/

widgeon, Truman, Reelcranky and 2 others like this.
  2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

I’m beginning my prep this weekend. Burn down with glysophate and then disc in 2-3 weeks and put down pre-emerge Dual. Broadcast Sunflowers and put some nitrogen on, harrow and wait for a rain. Finally, spray with Clethodim (grass only killer) if any competition. It really is not hard but several steps and planning required to get it directionally “right”. Plant about 12 acres in 3 separate plots.

Love this time of year!!!

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Clearfield or regular ole black oil sunflower seed? I know there’s a pretty big cost difference but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.
    Getting pumped up for the prospects of a better dive season this years also. Bird numbers for last 5 years in general down all over the SE.

4. redheads

redheads Senior Refuge Member

Seams a little early to plant the buckwheat.The deer will have it taken care of by September 1

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  5. no harm-no fowl

Deer not an issue with my buckwheat. I would of liked another week or 2 last year on my buckwheat. That's why I'm planting around June 1st this year. As far as sunflowers, not sure which is best. Most likely going with just oil sunflowers seeds from tractor supply. Hopefully I don't get too many weeds. Then I'll burn the weeds back in the end with roundup. Cheapest way to go. I wish I could find a bag of roundup ready sunflower seeds, I'm sure they ain't cheap.

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Buckwheat? God bless you. You're feeding birds and bees. :tu

7. redheads

redheads Senior Refuge Member

Check Parkland seed for the clarified sunflower seeds.

8. Drakes Landing

I have used Clearfield for many years but past two years prices for seed and herbicide crazy high. We planted PF Dove Kandy last year with pretty good success. Requires a bit more work but seed is very reasonable at around $45 bag. Herbicides Me Too Lachlor (pre emerge broadleaf) and Clethodim (post emerge grass) are also pretty reasonable.

Best us still Clearfield and Beyond herbicide (Imazomax Generic now that I have not used). Being able to spray post emergence is extremely beneficial!

9. no harm-no fowl

So I was back at again this weekend. I formulated my plan for this years dove field. I am planting the outside of my field to oil sunflowers and the center to buckwheat. I decided to go with the cheapest route. I'm planting bird seed oil sunflowers and burning back the weeds when they mature. I will work up the section in between and broadcast buckwheat in June. This weekend I worked up the outside portion and broadcast the sunflower seeds. I then hammered it with nitrogen. (see pics) the lighter center section will be where the buckwheat will go.
    20210502_195419.jpg 20210502_195446.jpg below is the seed and nitrogen fertilizer.

20210502_195357.jpg

10. Drakes Landing

Got planted yesterday with the help of 2 other guys and 2 of their kids! Put in approximately 12 acres of PF Dove Kandy! We sprayed, fertilized, broadcast seed and then dragged it. Paid a farmer to prep the field with field cultivator which was worth every penny spent! Got 1/3” of rain today so we should be off to the races!

10-15 days we should start to see some sprouts!

Good Luck