Decoy Forum Sponsors

GHG XDs

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Greenhead Rocker, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

so after a year on the market, what’s the word on these decoys? I’m replacing some old birds this year and was looking at Avian X and the XDs(especially since they’re coming out with black ducks this year). How’s the durability and paint after a year of hard use?

2. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

I have not used these but finally saw them in person a few weeks back. Not impressed.

3. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

I've just seen pics, what is it specifically that doesn't impress you? Poor quality, poor paint, etc. I was hoping these new decoys would solve the past issues with ghg decoys.

4. Jonathan Knopp

Jonathan Knopp New Member

I have also seen them many times, but have not hunted over them. I wasn't impressed by what I saw in the store, but that is primarily due to how much hype went into the decoy. The look like a well carved decoy with a well thought out paint scheme. But, I think they are definitely decoys for hunters, the colors and detail are greatly exaggerated. I have described them to people as GHG's take on a Dakota mallard. I'm sure they work, but I don't believe they will be any more effective than standard GHGs. As for durability, lightly dust your decoys with some Krylon 1311 before season. That will make the paint last a lot longer.

5. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

I felt they were kinda small and not nearly as attractive to the pro series. I think their pro series mallard are much better. For the hype, when I saw them I was disappointed. They look better in the pictures. As far as the paint issues, I think GHG is past that and has been for a long time. I hunt in rice and leave my decoys out all season. I have pro series mallards, wigeon and teal and many of these are on 5 years with what I would consider normal and realistic wear.

6. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

I'll echo what everyone else has said. The XD's left me way underwhelmed when I seen them in person. Wouldn't even consider buying them over Avians or even GHG Progrades.

black brant likes this.
  7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

I hunted them last season. They are durable and look as good as when they were new after 40+ hunts. I think the hens are weird looking. They're undersized for my taste. I was a little underwhelmed by them when I unboxed em. That said, they compliment my Avians very well. I like them okay, but I don't think anyone beats Avians pound for pound and overall value.

2WIDGN likes this.
  8. SPRIGS

SPRIGS Elite Refuge Member

Bought 2 dozen last year and hunted them all season. Paint has held up well. I like the drakes for the different poses but the hens look weird to me as well. Almost too yellow.

Ramblingman likes this.
  9. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Have a dozen, don't plan on buying anymore. Paints held up very well though. They mega over hyped the decoy I prefer my pro grades/avians way more. I wish the pro grades were the same material as the XD's or Avians but obviously theyll never redo those. Hopefully they don't phase out the pro grades.

Ramblingman likes this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It's my opinion that GHG's decoy issues were solved years ago by the GHG ProGrades and the Avian-X products.

Mean Gene likes this.