Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

GIANT brood of Canada goose goslings

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by whistlerwhopper, May 25, 2020.

1. whistlerwhopper

whistlerwhopper Refuge Member

I live by a lake in southern Ontario. Every year, a number of geese will raise their young in our area. Cool watching them grow up. This year, we have a pair of Canadas raising a total of 40 young ones, all pretty much the same size. Obviously not all their own. They all stick in a tight mass around the adopted parents. They must be collecting them from other nearby pairs. Most of the other pairs this year have small broods of 2 or 3, or none at all. Most I've ever seen before attached to one pair was 15. Just wondering if others have seen similar behaviour to this extent ?

2. Mike0311

Mike0311 Senior Refuge Member

I have not seen any young ones yet. I have seen quite a few large groups of geese here lately. Which is kind of odd.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

See this all the time. I wonder if Canadas can nest twice.

4. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

@Mike0311 Those large groups of canadas are nonbreeders for a variety of reasons and are staging to clear on out of there and head North for the summer.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I see this every year across the street, on the river. I have seen as many as about 15 with two grownups. I mentioned in another thread, I think they have a 'daycare' type system, or something like that.

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They are all over the Park here, too! Veal geese? ;) :l

7. swifthunter

swifthunter Refuge Member

The adults get super protective and will steal gosling from other pairs. Its a survival tool. If a pair of geese is gonna lose 6 gosling to predators that will wipe their young ones out. But if they steal 10 more young from a couple of other geese and they still lose 6 young then the odds are that at least a few of their own young will make it. I see it a lot in parks or anywhere theres a lot of geese nesting abnormaly close together

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Geese do a heck.of a job raising youngsters versus ducks. Ducklings don't have much of a chance from the get go!

9. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Never seen just a pair with with that many.
    Like Native said I do think they do a sort of daycare deal .
    See them at times with all the young of several different sizes all together with a pair then the next time several adults.

10. wetlander

wetlander Refuge Member

It's called gang brooding. A dominant pair or more will begin collecting other birds young. Good to have an aggressive dominate adult pair protecting the brood. Bad if the brood gets too large especially with a mix of older and younger goslings.