Glen elder

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by IowaWaterfowler10, Nov 30, 2020.

1. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

Looking to take an out of state trip over Christmas potentially as our duck season closes dec 1 here in Iowa. Any online resources to gain a little info on the area? I know a few people that have hunted there once or twice but I know nothing about the area just want to make sure a drive like that would be worth it. Thanks in advance!

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Sure, just post about all your spots in Iowa and we will be happy to tell you about ours.

3. CJT

CJT Senior Refuge Member

Try a simple google search. I promise within 30 seconds tops you will be on your way to finding out about anything you need to know to get started. The rest, as has been stated repeatedly on every online waterfowl forum from coast to coast, comes with scouting and time spent in the wetland. Good luck!

WHUP ! Hen and Ramblingman like this.
  4. Renobber

Renobber Senior Refuge Member

Be better off in Missouri. Too dry here, no ducks.

5. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

If you come to Kansas right now, you have a 99% chance of catching COVID. We are a super spreader right now. Staying safe in Iowa is your only option if you want to see your next birthday.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Your best bet would be to check out Glen Elder on the KDWPT's webside, then call the area manager for details.
    Go here: https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Where-to-Hunt
    You'll get more "accurate" info from the area managers than from anyone on a forum, especially the Kansas Flyway Forum. Kansas gets such heavy out-of-state pressure that most of us are reluctant to give out ANY internet advice anymore.

7. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

This is actually good advice and accurate. Missouri is the next best thing to Arkansas for late season mallards and goose variety in massive numbers. Check their counts! Migration has shifted east in a major way. Go there.

Renobber and Neck Collar like this.
  8. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

Have family in Missouri. More specifically the grand pass/Truman lake area. They are hurting for birds. If there was a spot in Iowa worth your drive you’d have already heard about it lol.

9. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

Read the waterfowl reports for KS and you will see low numbers or extremely tough hunting due to intense pressure. When I keep seeing more OOS plates than locals at every public area I have been to, it's no wonder our hunting has gone to crap. Folks have ruined their own states now want to look elsewhere and our home is rapidly being taken over and ruined.

10. BlackLegendGauge

BlackLegendGauge Senior Refuge Member

I hunt KS often but have only catfished Glen Elder. If you want to know some good spots to ruin for Ramblingman, since KS is the only place with OOS hunting, let me know and I will point you in the right direction.