Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any y'all ever seen this one?

CowanPrint.jpg

No sir.....original commission?

Drundel

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was Cowan or Booth, but one of those two did a calender full of prints for Slb. I don't remember the details, but I saw it in an older employees office once; it was pretty damn cool. It was full of Texas hunting/fishing scenes with Slb equipment in them.

I wonder where the originals are and how much they are worth.

Bogomil

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw this one of a kind Cowan one time at Rob Lay's house. It's titled "Texoma Jesus" and features a guy quartering away with a strap of green on his shoulder......ducks still raining down on him and his full bodies. The image is drawn in the early morning light, and because of the angle of the sun and the shimmering waters of Big T, it looks as if the subject is standing..........on top of the water.

Creedmore

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw this one of a kind Cowan one time at Rob Lay's house. It's titled "Texoma Jesus" and features a guy quartering away with a strap of green on his shoulder......ducks still raining down on him and his full bodies. The image is drawn in the early morning light, and because of the angle of the sun and the shimmering waters of Big T, it looks as if the subject is standing..........on top of the water.

:l :clap :tu

DedDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

:l :l :l

harrisr70

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
No sir.....original commission?

That one is called "Night Feeders". I bought it (or actually my dad bought it for me) at a DU Auction we went to when I was a freshman in High School (1984). It is a JV Printing between Venture Prints Ltd (Bristol England) and Long Company (Long Gallery) here in Houston from back in 1971. I have NO idea what # print it is or if its an artist proof or what because the way the matting is done I think its covered up and I'm not going to tear it open to find out.

All I know is, I have never, ever, seen it anywhere else (and by that I mean seen another actual copy of the print in person). If you have the Cowan book, it is shown in B&W in the group of photos in the back of the book (honestly I have never even seen a color copy of it anywhere). Also every time I've tried to look it up on the internet I can find it supposedly offered for sale at a couple of galleries, but they never have an actual picture of the actual print itself.

Its actually pretty cool in an "old school" way. Details you cant really make out in the picture are that both guys are shooting A-5's, wearing old style "bucket" boonie hats, and basically blue jeans with old school brown camo jackets on.

Just reminded me a lot of Port O the first time I saw it (which it probably is) and I think we got it for like $400 at the auction if I remember correctly. Its pretty special. :tu

RebsBud

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There are no more Cowans to be had, as he has passed away. The only thing collectors and dealers can come up with as to why glory hole is popular is the sign over the dogs stand. Who would have thunk...

I liked it way before I ever knew about the sign because it looks just like an oak flat bottom i used to hunt back in the 70's in Leon County. It became unaccessable after a divorce. Almost 25 years since I was in there, and it's still one of the fondest places on earth to me.

Save the Cormorant

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think what we like about Cowan's work is that we all relate to his art. It is like we have been in that sam exact spot. It is so realistic because he lived it. I have "Half Past Shooting Time". It is an old hunter still getting after them. I hope that is me in 30 years.