Gold Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Jan 2, 2021.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Anybody ever shoot any Speer Gold Dot 22 mags through a rifle? I understand they are made for pistols and revolvers, but I just wondered if anyone ever tried them in a long gun?
    Thanks Daniel

2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

You can't find any ammo by Speer these days. I never seen but Speer makes excellent ammo, their Gold Dot pistol ammo highly rated.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  3. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

FWIW, I bought a 22 mag rifle early this last year. Tried multiple kinds of ammo and the 2 my gun (Savage B22) shot best were the standard V-Max Hornady hunting round and almost exactly on par, Hornady Critical Duty FTX. Fast forward a couple months and I picked up a Kel Tec PMR30 (22 mag, 30 rounds in the magazine) that also happens to shoot those same 2 kinds of ammo exceptionally well. If anyone is looking for a phenomenal little 22 mag pistol I highly reccomend it. Before the ammo shortage, I stashed a fairly good amount of both of those rounds and would not hesitate to use either from the rifle or pistol for hunting or self defense purposes. Never tried the Speer stuff but I dont doubt it's good stuff.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  4. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

The B 22 is the one I have. I managed to get a couple boxes of CCI TNT 30gr HP's. They shoot okay, I know places got some Gold Dots that I'm thinking about trying. They're a 45 gr. HP for short-barreled pistols, but I thought I would give them a try in the rifle. I wouldn't think they would be much different than Hornaday or Winchester home defense. I guess time will tell.