Goldeneyes

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by iaduckhunter, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

If I ever am able to get away, I might take you up on that... You just might have to come down here for a weekend of green-wing teal shooting.... And some edible birds.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

There is nothing you can do to a merganser to make it edible. I've tried to eat them twice. Thought I cooked it wrong the first time, second time I tried feeding some to the cat and he looked at me like I was trying to poison him. :l

JP, Cameb7mm and Squaller like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

They still taste better than a Pudget sound goldeneye but I think even a dog turd would. :z :l

H20OTTER likes this.
  4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

:l:l:l

5. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

You two are spot on.

6. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

For goldeneye's, sea ducks or any other diver duck for that matter-- Fillet the meat off of the skin, making sure you don't have any fat or bloodshot meat included. Soak in saltwater for at least a day-- changing the bloody water at least once. Set that meat aside to mix in to the pepperoni' batch or dice up and marinade in whatever is your favorite for stir fry, poppers, stew, chili , etc. The stronger tasting birds like saltwater goldeneye, scoter, 'bills and buffleheads might need to marinade a little longer.

A side note for saltwater goldeneye -- many of these birds (and some of the puddlers ! ) are feasting on salmon egg roe and chum carcasses around the river mouths right now. Them birds are particularly nasty !:eek:

Mean Gene likes this.
  7. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

I second or third … the chili response. I've eaten all manner of east coast sea duck and all make decent chunked meat for chili. Even better is a good strong pot of gumbo eaten over rice. The thing I like about chili/gumbo is that they taste better each day you store them in the fridge within reason. The meat and goodies take on more of the flavor the longer they sit. Barely any of that strong flavor in a good chili/gumbo. We've never tried merganser since the PA game commission published "DO NOT EAT" advisory for all mergansers taken in the lake Erie area. The PCB levels found in these mergansers are unacceptable for human consumption due to biological magnification from their consumption of so many fish.

8. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

As I said I mix them in with other things. I have grilled the breasts before I don think they are that bad, but they are no means as good as a grey, mallard, bill or black.
    Although all of the birds regardless of species I shoot are solely freshwater birds, that probably makes a difference

9. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Goldeneyes are best used as catfish bait in the summer.

JP likes this.
  10. flybum

flybum Refuge Member

I have found that ALL duck is much better when properly aged. I hang all my ducks (or place in a spare refrigerator) for 7 days whole guts and all. Don't touch them until 7 days. Then I clean them as I always do. I just did this with 3 GE's a couple weeks ago. Once cleaned I soaked the breasts in saltwater for a day, then changed the water on day 2-3. At 10 days since being shot, I drained them, patted them dry, dry rubbed with S&P, garlic powder, ginger powder, and cayenne. I then put a 1/3 stick of butter with a touch of peanut oil to prevent butter from burning into a preheated skillet. Make sure the skillet is good and hot before putting the duck breast in. Cook for a couple minutes on one side, then when you flip them add fresh garlic, and whatever other raw/fresh spices you prefer to the butter. I added fresh ginger and also fresh thyme. While the duck is finishing up, spoon the herb infused butter over the top of the duck. Serve medium rare.

I can't say I have eaten saltwater goldeneye, but I can say that aging my birds has raised the level of palatability of GE's and other divers exponentially. Even my kids who are picky about gamey duck didn't say a word. They gobbled the stuff down like it was fillet!

Billy Bob likes this.