Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gonna be a big year

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Already seen three doves. That's two more than I saw last year hunting. Can't wait, just got to get a box of shells to shoot at them. That might be a challenge though, not many available. Most stores don't carry silly things like guns and ammo anymore.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I've got at least 4-5 under the bird feeder everyday.

Shells won't be a problem for me. I've hunted opening day the last 3 seasons, thats it. I think I've killed 21 dove in those 3 hunts. I've got plenty of shells left I just have my doubts about having a place to hunt.

3. Little Ruddy

I don't think the doves are doing very well. Talked to a few guys that really hunt them hard, said it's been going downhill for a while.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Definitely seems Iike something is off. I don't have the places to hunt that I use to either.

5. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I have one farm I dove hunt and as a group we usually kill 300-400 a season. We plant 4 acres just for dove usually mix of millet or sorghum some corn and then we get Johnson grass as well (can’t get rid of it) doves seem to really like the Johnson grass seed. I could go there right now and kill a limit they are hitting the hay fields after bailing. I have 15 that come everyday to my house up on the mountain and hear no shortage in the woods. You think development down yalls way has changed the birds ? I know where I grew up was dairy and always had doves now it’s a lot of houses and no doves.

6. Little Ruddy

Don't know but use to see alot all over town on the power lines, Ride all over, mite see a handful. Plenty of doves on our place in Essex but the first corn field that gets cut the birds vanish. I dont have enough acreage cleared for doves.

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I feel like I'm seeing more around here than typical for this time of year, at least for the past few years. I haven't been producing them like I use to. The damn things like to nest in gutters, wet summers aren't too good for them. They should thrive this year.