Good luck...

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

Well, it’s second weekend, the split begins Sunday at sunset. Looks like weather is going to be an issue in some areas of the state again. At least for part of the weekend.

Will be hanging in the central part of the state this weekend. Just based on what I have been seeing at the lake here we are still working with local geese and limited local ducks. No real push yet.

I’m hoping the opening weekend shenanigans I heard about from the local hunters I’ve spoken too subside.

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Haven’t been out yet. Very few birds around. Doesn’t appear to be a shortage of hunters though. Seen 10 rigs parked at a public spot Saturday morning that can probably hunt half that many people without stepping on each other. Never saw a duck or heard any shooting. A few geese here and there but nothing to get too excited about. Hopefully something will show up soon.

3. Neighbor Guy

Well, Team Water Swatter spent the last couple mornings on a farm pond near Princeton. Including today’s long soaking rain, another awesome forecast job from the local weather teams.

I wish I had something to report. The reality is much less than stellar. Yesterday saw a handful of Woodducks still in the area. Along with some local family groups of geese. No teal or mallards to be seen.

This morning, when it stopped spitting on us long enough for the birds to move, we saw a flock of 45-50 fast moving and high flying migrators checking out for warmer weather to the south. Other than that some very decoy shy local geese visited the pond. One of which swam into the decoy spread. It’s partner survived the encounter. It also managed to survive the return trip to check on its friend. Cause when you are soaked head to toe shells are hard to reload.

Cold weather forecasted for the end of next week. With any luck poor numbers of birds will mean less hunters at the landings.

musher likes this.
  4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Saw a few snow geese this afternoon while scouting in the pouring rain. So maybe some new birds are moving in. Still haven’t seen but a hand full of ducks. The rain could stop anytime now!

5. Neighbor Guy

We are spending the end of the week/weekend in the far north of the state. Seeing goose numbers increasing but still very few ducks. I keep telling myself Calendar migrators should start moving soon. Mid-state split ends tomorrow. Has potential to be another wash out for parts of the state.

I hope somebody is having some luck. Because I have been spending more time drying out cloths than hunting this season.

6. Neighbor Guy

Semi live updates just cause.

We struggled to get one bird today. A single ringneck. Rained all day. Only other birds we saw were a few mergansers.

I heard reports from the central part of the state from a friend of mine in the pine river area. They managed to scratch together 3-birds today. Wet and cold was the story there too.

Anyone else having success or even getting out?

7. Neighbor Guy

Well a final weekend report from the great white north. Based on the sounds of gunfire, the field hunters did ok today in the wind and 2hr window of dry weather this morning.

Those of us who prefer to kill Waterfowl over water did not find too much success. Some groups around us got more shooting. Not always quality shots(skybusting) but they shot more than we did.

We had fun and each bagged a bird today. Hunted over a full spread of hand carved birds today. Very enjoyable anytime the hand carved spread makes an appearance.

There is water everywhere. I feel bad for those who need to get these crops out.

MJ1657 likes this.
  8. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Very slow here too. Hunted Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday morning. Saw a few small groups, each with a destination in mind and no interest in checking out anything else. More geese flying around Sunday, some high migrators. Definitely heard shooting, just wasn't where the ducks wanted to be I guess.

9. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

The central re-opener was again a success! Not an overabundance of ducks around, but more than enough to make it easy.

To me, it seems like there's ducks most everywhere, but scattered with the excess water. They have more habitat...go where the ducks are, not where you want them to be.

Looking forward to the 4th "opener" this weekend!

10. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

For most guys...a year that's wet like this may make it difficult, with many being reluctant to adapt to the birds. It's makes it good for me, because being wet makes the mostly unreachable areas reachable. That's where the ducks are.

Change tactics, or deal with mediocre hunting until everything starts to freeze.