Good To See Harlis Back on the Tieton River

Green Duck Truck

Washington State Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen them the last few times I've gone up to the cabin in Packwood. Wish I could get closer and get some good pictures. This one was way too far away for any decent pics. He gave me a good one-legged wing-stretch, too! I'll keep trying...

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I came upon a female Harlequin while backpacking up in NE Oregon decades ago. She obviously had a nest or young nearby. I remembered her distinct look and came home and looked it up. At the time, I had no idea what she was.

H20OTTER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My favorite time of the year with them. All colored up and not running scared of guide boats. They are so fun to watch during nesting season.

D3Smartie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Love it

Honkerclan08

Washington forum
Reaction score
Super cool.

BD1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Saw some this morning on Herron Island...nice little couple. Sorry, no pics but cool to see

Green Duck Truck

Washington State Moderator
Reaction score
Still trying for a decent Harli picture. Saw two drakes on the way home yesterday. Still too far to get decent pictures.

IMG_4543.jpeg

IMG_4555.jpeg

beglseder

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a few pairs on the Methow and Twisp River. They are here every year. Super cool to see!! I can never get a picture of course.... During late summer I see lots of littles swimming in the rivers here. Pretty cool that they go from sea to mountain and back. They also like the high mountain lakes up here.

Currently, we have a nesting pair of sandhill cranes in the Methow Wildlife Area. Very rare and only known pair to ever nest in this area. Second year in a row. Their 2 colts did not survive last year, unfortunately. They have closed off that area to protect them.