Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Goodbye 5.56?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by The Other David, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

7.62x39 is definitely a heavier bullet and will penetrate better at 100 yards but, I think it could stand a tad more case length and powder charge. IMO the a 1/4 bore rifle, or close, such as .243 or even something based off the .250 Savage, would be an upgrade, for killing(dead in tracks) heavily clothed folks at +150 yards. Need something that penetrates cause 2 hole bleeds more than 1.

2. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

There's a lot better choices today that the 7.62 X 39, but it was never designed to be a long range round.
    IMO the one round can do it all thing hasn't worked, maybe the Military needs to go back in time a bit and make specific weapons with a purpose and train people to use them. WWII they had many different weapons to select from, such as the BAR and Thompson, each had a specific purpose an did their jobs fairly well.

widgeon likes this.
  3. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

My son built a really nice AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. Nice shooting rifle. Does the numbers on 300 lb caribou. That would be a very logical choice. Weight would be close and all the M4's could be upgraded with a new barrel. Mags and everything else would remain the same. That would make too much sense.
    I'm going back over there for another 6 month tour. This time as a civilian (3 tours military). I won't have to carry all that stuff. It gets damned heavy in those mountains.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. Old Carver

The new AR 10's are incredible. My son built me one and gave it to me as a present. I never would have bought one. I've been hand loading for it and wow is that 308 accurate. If I could I'd carry that in Afghanistan anytime. Lighter than the retro'd m14 they had us carry. 20190207_163346.jpg

Bear, Fowler267 and Mrs.10GAGENUT like this.
  5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for your service @Old Carver !!
    That's a nice looking AR 10.

6. Old Carver

Thanks. The muzzle brake blew the snow off the front of the table. Torn on the brake since it's so load. Sure cuts recoil to near 5.56 levels. Each squad seemed to have an m14 for long range stuff. I'd much rather have the AR 10. Half the weight.
    I really like 6.5 Grendel. That would be a fantastic choice. Makes me wonder about a 6.8 grendel if they required a 6.8 round.
    Proud to serve but timing could be better. I'll miss this hunting season. Last time. Or as they say "Once more into the breach". The Agency still needs some of us old farts over there. I hate missing the silver salmon run and hunting season. I'm not gonna have a bad attitude. Not gonna have a bad attitude. I'll tell myself over and over.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator

Thanks, and Best Wishes to you, Old Carver. :tu

tcc likes this.
  8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Yeah I like that for sure, to repeat thank you for your service.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Truth. The logic as I understand it is that a 5.56 will more likely wound a combatant than kill, and a wounded soldier is better that a dead one because it takes two healthy soldiers to drag him out.

I say that logic is a bunch of horse manure. These rag heads we’ve been fighting for 20 years don’t give a rat’s azz about helping their fallen comrades; they want to die so they can go meet Allah and their 72 virgins. I say shoot to kill, with the most effective round possible at our troops’ disposal. The 30-06 (or .308) is about as perfect an anti-personnel small arms caliber as was ever invented. Pee paw Leon killed slopes with his Garand on Okinawa, Great Uncle Don killed krauts with his BAR in Belgium, and Pee Paw Emri killed slopes with his Garand in Korea. Make a modernized version of the M1 Garand and our army will still be the most lethal killing force the world has ever seen for another 100 years.

widgeon likes this.
  10. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

Everyone worries about their wounded comrades. Not because of the person himself, but because everyone is worried about being the wounded casualty. That is why bouncing betties take out the family jewels instead of killing. It is psychological, it destroys moral in the enemy. The biggest fear I had was riding in Hueys. Not getting shot down, getting shot through the floor into my family jewels. I was more afraid of being maimed than I was of being killed.

Other than coyote hunting(and perhaps groundhogs), the 5.56 has only one real purpose, disposing of bad hominids. The 5.56 is perfect for this because it allows you to carry a lot more ammo and it is better to have a lot of ammo. You can't shoot bullets that are so heavy that you don't have them because you can't carry them.With the 5.56, recoil is light, so quick follow up shots are quick and effective.

I am a big fan of the M-16 and the 5.56 round. I will admit the AK is almost indestructible, but the 7.62 round, coupled with the shoddy construction of the rifle that carries it makes for a inaccurate weapon that is almost uncontrollable on full auto.

With practice, you can empty a mag on full auto into a single hole with a M-16 at a 100 yards. Not every time, but I have seen it done. Anyone who is mildly proficient can put all the rounds on paper. You would be lucky to get half the mag to touch paper with a AK. Every time.

I know the 7.62 round is heavier. I always go for the heavier round in a sidearm. But that is a different job, the handgun is for close up work in self-defense where accuracy is not a concern and up close it will not matter how many rounds are still in the mag when you go down. But in a battle rifle, where the possibility of a sustained firefight is always a possibility , the guy who runs out of ammo first loses.

Fowler267, WoodieSC and Old Carver like this.