Goose counts.......

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Matt Barnard, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Ive been gone for a year and a half or so, so cut me some slack. I cant seem to find any goose counts on the GFP website. I knew that they have quit flying. Then there was a color coded map. Cant seem to find anything anymore. Is it because it has stopped all together? Wondering about goose counts at Sheehans.

2. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

Yeh they cut all the info it seems. I did see one report that there was 45k last week.

3. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

With what is being spent on it, there needs to be some regular updates on what is going on. The lack of info is pathetic.

4. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

I don't think SD GFP is doing the weekly flight surveys. Waste of money. The nationwide mid winter survey was done a week or two ago. At some point the information will be available.

5. Sdduck

Sdduck Senior Refuge Member

They said they quit doing them because of COVID.

6. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Good. If you want to know what bird numbers are drive out and see for yourself. Plus it was a giant waste of a ton of money that could be much better spend on public lands or access for waterfowl hunting.

7. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I could care less about the flights. They were done so little it did not mean much and I would rather have the money spent elsewhere. But, with what is being spent there on the lease ground, they should communicate in some way. I don't think it should be a Pierre only opportunity. Its a statewide pull of hunters into the area, a great late season opportunity for all. Don't give specifics, but if there are fair opportunities out there they should make it known outside the local residents IMO.

8. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Hardly seems that it's a local resident only pull when there was 45 decoy spreads out a few weeks ago. I'm sure if you contacted the areas CO they'd give you information.