Goose counts.......

Matt Barnard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ive been gone for a year and a half or so, so cut me some slack. I cant seem to find any goose counts on the GFP website. I knew that they have quit flying. Then there was a color coded map. Cant seem to find anything anymore. Is it because it has stopped all together? Wondering about goose counts at Sheehans.

dan_sd

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeh they cut all the info it seems. I did see one report that there was 45k last week.

Traxion

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
With what is being spent on it, there needs to be some regular updates on what is going on. The lack of info is pathetic.

jpallen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
With what is being spent on it, there needs to be some regular updates on what is going on. The lack of info is pathetic.
I don't think SD GFP is doing the weekly flight surveys. Waste of money. The nationwide mid winter survey was done a week or two ago. At some point the information will be available.

jpallen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They said they quit doing them because of COVID.
Good. If you want to know what bird numbers are drive out and see for yourself. Plus it was a giant waste of a ton of money that could be much better spend on public lands or access for waterfowl hunting.

Traxion

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't think SD GFP is doing the weekly flight surveys. Waste of money. The nationwide mid winter survey was done a week or two ago. At some point the information will be available.

I could care less about the flights. They were done so little it did not mean much and I would rather have the money spent elsewhere. But, with what is being spent there on the lease ground, they should communicate in some way. I don't think it should be a Pierre only opportunity. Its a statewide pull of hunters into the area, a great late season opportunity for all. Don't give specifics, but if there are fair opportunities out there they should make it known outside the local residents IMO.

Matt Barnard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hardly a waste of money to supply information on a state run facility with time restraints on it. Not the easist thing to jump in the car and drive 200 miles one way to see the birds fly out 5 minutes after shooting time. The state spent $750,000.00 a year to destroy nests, then fly after that. Should be plenty of money for a few weeks of fly time.

Latest posts