Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Goose floaters for ducks: am I crazy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bulldogeverett, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

I drew a stake (1 of 15) at a public walk-in area for mid season. It's literally a line of stakes down a mile stretch of bank. Can be really good for puddlers. Almost everyone there will probably run the usual 3 dozen mallards and 2-3 spinners. My stake isn't the best in terms of where the action will be (based on past observations). Trying to talk my buddies into running all goose setup (as many as we can take on a walk-in) with maybe a half dozen mallards in the hole. Was thinking this might get the attention of some far out flyers and might entice them to swing by and check it out. There aren't many geese there though. Didn't know if that might be a red flag to the ducks. Thoughts?

2. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

2 dozen coots and a pair of widgeon, and one black duck...period. Put the coots in a tight wad with the ducks on the outside.

3. PutUmDown870

PutUmDown870 Senior Refuge Member

Coots? 2 Dozen? I have never heard that before but hey I will try anything I guess lol. I use more goose decoys than ducks depending on the spot and what I'm after. Teal and wood ducks I usually use teal and mallard dekes. Goose decoys will definetly work on ducks.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I think it will really depend on your location...

In my area, there is no doubt that goose decoys not only don't help the duck hunting, but probably hurt it (mostly snow and speck decoys as that is what we are shooting)...

While hunting in Canada, we had multiple groups of ducks come into honker decoys though....

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Run a jerk string. Makes no difference what decoys you use. Put some motion on the water. You will out-draw those spinners, 5-1.

6. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

I know in KY we always throw a pair or two of goose decoys usually on the edge of a spread......ducks don't seem to mind and Im a big believer in ducks being able to easily see your spread.....and big ol goose decoys do just that...heres something even crazier.. sometimes we just blow goose calls to the ducks...that goosecall can be heard a long way off

7. Canteen Boy

Canteen Boy Senior Refuge Member

Be different, back in the day, if you wanted to be seen, they put out a swan decoy.

8. ILPLATEBOAT

ILPLATEBOAT Elite Refuge Member

Like mentioned, I think it depends where you hunt. Mallards around here always key in on goose blocks before they take mallard decoys, and 9/10 times, will try to land with the goose blocks.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I can't even count the number of ducks I have killed over a goose decoy spread without a single duck decoy in it. Try it, if it doesn't work you can always try something else.

10. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

Has worked great for me this week. I had way more flocks come take a look than when I did not have honkers in my spread. Just let me say I hunt a large river area.