Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Goose guide out east

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Anchovy Andrew, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew Refuge Member

My birthdays coming up next Wednesday and I was pondering going on a guided goose hunt out east. In thirteen years of waterfowl hunting I’ve never been on a guided hunt. Anyone have recommendations on who to book with? I searched online but was hoping for input from folks on here.I’ve never hunted with a guide service so I’m a little unsure of what to expect. It would be me and my wife going. Do you tip? How much do you tip? Do you bring your calls? What’s a fair price to pay for a day of goose hunting? Any input on what it’s like hunting with a group of random strangers?

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Guzman is a guide so hopefully he'll chime in on a lot of you're questions. I would tell you what his guide service is called but I don't want to say the wrong name. Going rate for a goose hunt seems to be 250-300. Sometimes you can find them a little cheaper if you follow the guides facebook page. Big Guns (Bill Saunders), Eagle Lakes, Honkstomper, and Burbank Guide service are a couple you could reach out to and see if they have any openings.

3. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Isn't Ben still with Northflight?

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure.

5. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Moon guide service/Northflight, Shane runs it, Ben guides......Ben has been on the birds lately think his groups killed nearly 90 geese over Thanksgiving, the hunt I was on we got 17

6. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

As far as what to bring, lunch, gun, shells and license...if you insist on calling I suppose you can, but if you're hunting out of a pit, you won't know what you are calling to, It's a great chance to just relax and shoot over someone else's stuff and let them do the work

7. Guzman

Guzman Elite Refuge Member

All the guide services listed above are good ones. Echternkamp’s is one other good one not listed. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those. I would say a typical tip is $20 but can be more. Had a group of 6 give me $360 this weekend but that is on high end and very generous.

If you want some calling lessons or advise bring calls. Other than that I wouldn’t. It isn’t so much that your calling ability could hurt something it is more that it throws the guides focus off. They are going off sound a lot so calling just gets in their head.

$250-$350 is going rate. I think Eagle Lakes is the highest and closer to $350.

For the most part hunting with strangers is fine. I do it all the time. Pretty rare that people don’t get along. Most of the people out there are people just like you who hunt a fair amount.

EWUEagles likes this.
  8. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I would go with anyone from Othello to moses lake. They are holding a lot of birds.