Goose Hunting In A Hurricane!

eugene molloy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cough.

A hurricane? Really? I see very little wind never mind a hurricane. At Force 10 trees are uprooted ... and a hurricane is Force 12. The materials the blind was made of never moved, nor did the stubbles. I'm sure you had a good time, but you didn't have a good time in a hurricane.

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cough.

A hurricane? Really? I see very little wind never mind a hurricane. At Force 10 trees are uprooted ... and a hurricane is Force 12.
I was thinking the same thing. Goose hunting in a steady rain would be a more appropriate name.

Wood-Dro

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Barely a breeze in that video.

Jan. 4, 2008. Hunting a storm in N. California. Our wind gauge broke at 68mph with driving rain, highest recorded wind speed that day was 78mph, which by definition is a Cat 1 Hurricane. The wind was so strong it pushed a lot of our pond water to the north, water was barely 4" deep. We could see electrical transformers exploding at a little town around 7 miles away while we were walking out to the blinds.

The ducks came in wave after wave. It was amazing. Never forget that day.

letmwurk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Jan. 4, 2008. Hunting a storm in N. California. Our wind gauge broke at 68mph with driving rain, highest recorded wind speed that day was 78mph, which by definition is a Cat 1 Hurricane. The wind was so strong it pushed a lot of our pond water to the north, water was barely 4" deep. We could see electrical transformers exploding at a little town around 7 miles away while we were walking out to the blinds.

I hunted that day, too. I had a blind set up just for specs and they would come from the north fighting that S wind at about 10' off the ground. It would take them about 10 minutes to get to my spot once I spotted them. It was a memorable hunt just because of the weather but it was all just pass shooting and not very fun IMO.

HUNT24/7

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Jeez! Y'all are a real literal bunch! Lol
Maybe the title should say, Goose hunting the edge of post tropical storm...
Were way up north so we never get the crazy powerful storms the south does & like I said in my first post, there's a lot of the hunt we couldn't film because it was raining sideways!

HUNT24/7

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

Definitely a hunt to remember!

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a video of the wind storm that hit when I we as in Nebraska snow goose hunting years ago. We were doing pretty good and then the wind started picking up cornstalks and we were the targets! It blew the windsocks to smithereens. It got so bad the geese just landed and couldn't fly. We started picking up to leave and my layout blind went airborne! I chased it down and was just holding on to one corner and the blind was staying perpendicular to the ground.

We didn't call it a hurricane though.