Got Mogadishu?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by JP, Jul 15, 2020.

1. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

In the early 2000s our daughter and family lived in the Germantown area (wasn't too bad an area). Once during a visit, after spending the day at Elvis Presley's, we ended up driving in the Memphis area north of the Pyramid. That was a real eye opener. It was a good place to not be.

Way back when before the deployment to VN days, I was based at Millington for training. Did quite a bit of liberty time in the downtown Memphis area. As I recall things were pretty civilized then (except maybe for the time I drank a pint of rum then went to the movies and puked a lot). The folks sitting around me said they didn't like it very much.

yellowlab03 likes this.
  2. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

They stay north. With the change to no till and chisel plowing, food is plentiful, aerated retention ponds and power plant lakes give them water. They'll hold out in a good snow because it is usually gone or they can scratch through it..... Only time we get a big push is extended teens or below temps coupled with deep snow or ice covered with snow.... they'll move after a few days if it doesn't warm up.... I lived in the goose desert on the SE side but when those conditions hit, we'd get a big push through here to the KY. Still, in those conditions, I'd want to be in a pit a Crab or Horseshoe lake when they are migrating......

yellowlab03 likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

4. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

And if you read any Nash Buckingham (speaking of Memphis and duck hunting), they used to shoot Canada Geese in south Louisiana in the marshes, and swans on the Mississippi River into Mississippi and Arkansas. The Canadas keep shortening up their migration, and about all that's left in a lot of areas down here are the resident flocks. Very few migrators at all.

Several duck hunters I know subscribed to the theory that the Feds were trying to make the ducks migrate more like Canada Geese and "refuge hop"; easier to track, easier to manage, easier to regulate. I don't know if I really believe that or not, but it wouldn't surprise me to know that once again, man wanted to try and make nature fit into his framework rather than working to keep nature's framework in as good or better shape than when they found it.

newduk likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

There used to be a steady drone of Specks that would fly over our house constantly in the fall. About 15 years ago it started to dwindle. Now I haven’t heard any in years.

We are located in far west Houston about two bow shots from George Bush flood control park.

Maybe @AvianQuest knows why. He is an excellent and learned source for all things water fowling and probably BBQ too.

:cry

6. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you this......we rarely saw Specks migrating down the Mississippi even 10 years ago.....now we easily see a couple hundred thousand in the Fall and Spring.

Bear likes this.
  7. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Bear, Arkansas used to not have a big migration of snows, and specks were something to brag about killing...you had to go to Katy/Eagle Lake to kill snow geese in any numbers...around 1990 we started getting more and more snows, and now the migration is huge. Specks started picking up about 15 years ago, and now we have guide services targeting specks with ducks as "extras"; our duck hunting meanwhile has declined steadily.

I know the snow goose change happened because of the change in farming; specks probably similar. That part of Texas lost most of its rice production, which took most of the geese with it.

But the kicker is that Oklahoma and Texas pick up more ducks now...like the two swapped. Have heard guys in Texas are killing more mallards than ever. Again, anecdotally, some of us over here wonder if the ducks haven't moved away from the snows and specks due to food competition. The snows/specks beat the ducks down here...and with less food (i.e. rice primarily as well as soybeans), the ducks might have shifted to better food sources...there are still some ducks, and the big clubs still hold birds, but the duck migration is nowhere near what it was in Arkansas in the late 1970's through late 1990's.

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

@rhpierce I hunted sometimes every day during season around the Katy prairie about a decade ago. I’ve never shot a mallard. Pintails are lousy in our area like the following mentioned flies.

But our leases were mostly rice fields and a couple of river bottoms.

In our large group it was so rare for someone to shoot a Greenhead that when people were leaving the lease the guy showing it to everyone would cause a traffic jam at the gate.

Mallards land like flies on carrion in the lakes north of Houston. Fly over our area and head for the coast.

You’re correct...farming and “residential development” forces changes in migration paths.

rhpierce likes this.
  9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Something for the soul:

10. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Shhhhhhhhhhh Loose lips sink ships.