Got my boat plans!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Rob-in-WA, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Rob-in-WA

Rob-in-WA Senior Refuge Member

I ordered the Snow Goose plans from Devlin Design, and they came in the mail this weekend. Can't wait to start on it!

15'7" length
    5'11" mid-beam
    26" tall
    cost around 2200 overall, depending on what kind of perks I want to add. Yeah, I know what kind of boat I can buy for that much... but I am in it for the challenge [​IMG]

It will weigh around 340lbs when finished, and draft 7" of water. I will be running a 40hp on it for open water fishing during the summer, and probably a 15hp for duckin'.

Large enough to hold three guys and the dog, plus stow all the gear out of the way in side, fore, and aft compartments.

Best thing is, I will be able to look at it year after year and know I built it! [​IMG]

Will keep ya posted on the progress starting in Feb.

Robert

2. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a blast, Robert. I'm very close to taking the plunge, myself. I ordered plans for the Duck Boat II, from Glen-L. We'
    ve got some small rivers, and big creeks around here, and I think this little boat will be just the ticket.
    Please take lots of pics,and keep us posted on the progress!

------------------
    Don't get any on ya!
    Scout

3. Rob-in-WA

Scout,

Absolutely! I plan on documenting it quite like Eric Patterson did on his page and forum. I will have the wife there taking as many pictures as she possibly can (I wonder how long it will take her to get upset that I am asking for more pics of the boat than the baby we have due in Feb?! *LMAO* [​IMG] ).

I will post them to my website during progress and post a link on here when updated.

Robert

4. Guest

Good luck. I am planning on diving in head first on a Black Brant III this spring. We are having a baby girl in April and this will give me something to do on Sat. when I am baby sitting and she is asleep. This is my first boat but everyone I have talked to says not to worry, it is more time consuming than difficult.

5. Rob-in-WA

Dauber,

Everyone is right. It doesn't seem like too much of a problem, the lofting seems to be the worse part of the process. Have you got your plans yet? Not sure if Sam decided to deviate from the foot-inches-eighths for the BBIII, but he sure did on the Snow Goose. I watched the video and had already read through his book, expecting that style of layout on the plans. Instead the measurements were already layed out. Instead of the 1-5-3 I was expecting, it has 1' 5 3/8" style measurements.

There is going to be a lot of intuitive design to building one too. There are no strongbacks laid out for the SG, so I will be *******izing Eric, Lee, and Mike P.'s plans together to get just what I want.

I spoke with Sam regarding wood when I ordered, and he suggested going with a different style. Instead of okoume, he tried keruing on one of his boats and said the stuff was lighter and stronger. There is a local supplier here, and I will send you the web address if you want it. Cost is about 10-15% more, but he seems to think it is well worth the extra money for the strength and weight issue.

Robert

6. Guest

I have not ordered my plans yet. I got some plans for a BBII a few years ago and never got around to doing it. I am having a little trouble finding plywood. I am in Alabama. The people at the duck hunters boat page are very helpful. If you have a question just post it and you will get a reply quick. There is a lot of knowledge on that page... Let me know how you are progressing and I will do the same. It should be sometime in March when I get started..