California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Government shutdown would affect Federal Refuges

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Calikev, Sep 16, 2013.

1. burnt barley

burnt barley Elite Refuge Member

Real interesting answer:sp Funny how my question to the same agency/different complex responded with a different answer - " if there is a shutdown all rec and visitor programs are closed and no refuge access"

2. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I guess that brings meaning to the old saying.. one hand dosen't know what the other is doing..:l:joker

If this government shuts down we are going to see a bigger mess with the "system" trying to figure out what to do.. a whole lot of people running in circles.. and if it does, and "your" president lets this happen, he should be impeached for not doing his job..:mad:

Thanks Kev for sharing the reply

3. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

pick an example - any example - watch the beloved BART theatre next week and get back to me. People in the private sector have received serial pay cuts while government workers (especially in CA) wallow in waste fraud and abuse and constantly cry for more - or call people who disagree haters.

4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

wow ...

5. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

sorry to startle you this morning. My hope is the refuges stay open as the users do not deserve to be cutoff. Pray the state operates in a fashion unlike the CA State Parks scam example. I hope you State apologists are not unaware of that debacle.

6. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

What I am getting is that if there is a shut down, it will most likely be as it was in 1995 ( which Kev has stated ).

The decision on what stays open would come from Washington USFWS.

Local management is likely going with the answer that matches what came down the last time.... Pending direction from DC.

Re: law enforcement. I think most, if not all, would not be impacted. Plus, we still have our state wardens on the job.

7. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

You're welcome.

If I get any more information from them I will share it with you guys as soon as I get it.

Let's all hope this thing is resolved and doesn't come down to a real shutdown again. :pra

8. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

Called Modoc today. Sean said "if the Feds shut down Modoc will NOT be open!"

9. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I don't think it would be up to the Manager of those refuges. So I would expect ALL NWR's to be closed if this shutdown occurs. Everyone needs to write their US Representatives and US Senators encouraging them to not allow this to happen. Obviously hunting is far from their priority but a shutdown is not good for anyone in any shape or form. Never has been and never will be.

National Wildlife Refuge Closures in the Advent of a Government Shutdown
    "We still believe that there is the opportunity for Congress to avoid a government
    shutdown, but we are working to prepare for all possible scenarios,"

A recent memo from the Acting Director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Dan
    Ashe, advised, ?Visitors and potential visitors to national parks, wildlife refuges, and
    other public lands should be advised that, in the event of a government shutdown, the
    National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service and Bureau of Land Management
    will close and secure park, refuge and visitor facilities on public lands.

?Visitor activities that require a permit, including public events, will not be allowed or
    will be cancelled or postponed. Visitor centers will be closed and access to park and
    refuge areas denied, including Patuxent NWR, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island,
    Independence Hall, Alcatraz, and the Washington Monument. Visitors using
    overnight concession accommodations and campgrounds will be notified and given 48
    hours to make alternate arrangements. The National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife
    Service and some Bureau of Land Management roads will be closed except when they
    are necessary as thruways.

?Limited personnel needed to protect life and property on public lands, such as law
    enforcement, emergency services and firefighting personnel, will be exempted from
    furlough. Some administrative offices for the bureaus will be minimally staffed and
    many will be closed. Ordinary business of these bureaus will be extremely curtailed.
    ?The land management agencies will be providing additional information to the public
    as they finalize their contingency plans.?