California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Grasslands and a south wind

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Winchester 1897, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I know that there are no ducks in the grasslands but if there were, how does the area around Los Banos shoot in a south wind? I have number 37 ( yes, it's high I know) Ressie at Los Banos this Saturday. Not looking for limits of anything, just want to get my little cousin from Exeter out for hunt.

2. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

Nothing but specks and green

Specialbelly likes this.
  3. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

Dakillaofnada likes this.
  4. fetch it up

fetch it up Elite Refuge Member

When we used to hunt on the Kevin Ranch in Stevenson we would die for south winds. The ducks and geese would hammer us on a good south wind day.

freefall likes this.
  5. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

Is Sacramento NWR any good in a south wind? My son drew for Saturday.

6. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Your best bet may be to ambush geese in a south wind.

7. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

strange how Sac and Del shoot better in a N wind. We are only a few miles from both and a S wind is best for us on ducks geese it's a no brainer it's a N.

freefall likes this.
  8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

off topic a little but its funny on fish, how wind direction makes them eat...or not. small ponds to huge lakes.....wind direction is critical.

Winchester 1897 and freefall like this.
  9. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Win.... just go.... S wind weather is better than 80 degrees. Take a lunch & extra dry clothes. Pack light , move, explore and you’ll have a productive day. Not saying you’ll kill anything but what you’ll take away in knowledge with some sweat equity will pay off.

10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

You don't know if you don't go...and you cant kill em from the couch.. If you try to play this game on the "guarantee" it will never work..

A couple points..

I hunted the grasslands sunday in south wind, we smacked them great day. Nobody else got em in the area but I'm hunting with things that seem to be making a difference. The few birds we did see loved us and we shot well, which helps with numbers. I can honestly say there are not ducks in the grasslands or not very many anyway.

Today we hunted the club in a area close to banos, no wind, lots of rain never pulled the trigger and only seen maybe 20 ducks..no lie ! Very little shooting.

We got birds moving, its starting and going to bust open soon. When....??? only mother nature knows (I know I'm going to be waiting for it to happen when it does) I know this from all the areas I hunt and contacts that are close to me but you got to go to get em, you got to be there when it happens and trying to pick the right day will only work a very few times..and be very frustrating.

You got a ressi.. go !! If nothing else walk around for a pheasant or check out areas or if it is a bust go to one of the great breakfast houses in the area for some great food.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019