California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gray Lodge Auto Tour Loop to Close for Summer Repairs; New Fishing Dock to Be Built

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

310 k for a fishing pier is little more concerning.. not the fishing pier itself.. god knows the lodge has been a Mecca for the North American angler, and since I believe fishing is actually closed on the unit from October until sometime in spring I believe, it’s funds extremely well spent.. I mean you could build a pretty darn big house with 310k in building materials.. oh and don’t forget that little issue we dealt with regarding water delivery getting shut off in mid October due to canal maintenance is supposedly getting shut off even earlier this season unless I missed something where that project was completed.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Yeah, let's spend 300K on a fishing pier that will never open because of the C19 social distancing B.S.:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh
    :doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh
    :doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh
    :doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:z

Brottboss likes this.
  3. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

That will be used from mid April till the end of August! Only our government could be so stupid, and proud at the same time! I can’t imagine the maintenance that would go with a $300,000 dock? I’ll bet it gets closed do to lack of funds to properly maintain! Complete stupidity!

Brottboss likes this.
  4. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

Look if they were spending the 300 k on a world class bird observatory that actually created a ton of interest from more of the community and also could perhaps generate income to maintain the area I honestly wouldn’t have a big issue with it.

5. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

I understand the concerns on cost. Since this is a project from the Wildlife Conservation Board, I might suggest contacting them to get answers to those questions. Their board members are not represented here as far as I know. Love to know what you find out.
    :tu

https://wcb.ca.gov/

Phytoplankton likes this.
  6. Berdnird

Berdnird Senior Refuge Member

I have no idea what the fishing pier consists of as far as moving dirt, paving, electrical, etc. But I do know that the grant amount covers a lot more costs than just construction. Think about engineering/architectural design, permitting construction in an existing wetland (not cheap), surveying, construction management, biological monitoring for constructing in a wetland (not cheap), reporting, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “actual” construction cost was less than $100k.

Brottboss and DuckFan like this.
  7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Before ya know it, there will be a full service restaurant at the pier’s end.

Brottboss likes this.
  8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Mallard Mojito's?

9. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Let’s go big time and hold out for a Morton’s.

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

No they will want to close hunting so people can fish year round and fish not disturbed by gun fire. My guess is 1 use per year.