Great flood of '10. Picture heavy

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by BBFlinger, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

Just thought I would post a few pics of the continuing saga of 3 of 6 days of continuous rain.

This is the sandbar used by the geese daily (under about 15 ft of water)
    [​IMG]

This area is a crossing used by the kids walking home from school
    [​IMG]

As the river goes under a major road down here
    [​IMG]

2. BBFlinger

You usually cannot see the river from here
    [​IMG]

10 foot tall waterfall. now it falls barely 2 feet
    [​IMG]

Our hunting spot
    [​IMG]

River is 100 yards away from the park. Now less than 20
    [​IMG]

3. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

Amazing stuff. Wish we could pipe all that water up to the GSL.

4. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

looks like you have adapted well to virgin river hunting.. Have you been able to have any success before the storm hit ?? once you pass the gorge, there is some pretty decent shooting on the nevada side if you ever get an itch to kill and there is nothing around where your at :tu Limits of widgeon and mallards on most days if you wanna walk.. There are a couple spots that if you sit all day you WILL scratch out a limit, but you gotta sit litterly all day. Since I cant carry dekes on my back yet, im thinking of going and looking around over there and jump shooting some, but not until this storm stops :eek:

5. BBFlinger

Bandman, we have had real good success. We have a small pond on an HOA just SE of our spot that holds ducks everyday. That keeps the day going on a consistant basis. We have tried a few other spots and will get out more once the river subsides. Shoot me a PM when your coming up and maybe we can do a hunt. Alot of ducks out here, Im surprised as its just a desert:grvn

6. BBFlinger

Currently the Virgin River is running at above 10,000 cfs. Thats 3 times the flow of the Colorado. As of last night at 02:00 it was running 27 feet above normal. Insted of being 25 yards from the park, its now at the parks edge. The river has shut down two main roads and is currently running in the gutters.

Yesterday afternoon
    [​IMG]

After a night of rain
    [​IMG]

Same area just a little wider on the cell phone this morning. Cattle were moved out last night when the river broke its banks.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive been seeing on the news all the rain down that direction. I cant imagine that much rain
    Any houses washing away yet
    While living in Washington The Kelso River flooded bad,..One family got most of their milk cows out at night,.. When the water recieeded the remainig cows had pushed into the house and were in their house
    Stay safe
    D

8. BBFlinger

Salty, no houses as of yet. We just (in the last 2 hours) lost a portion of a 2005 built diversion dam. The park is now completely under water and sandbagging has begun on those houses. I helped pull corral panels down and off of the riverbank this morning as the river was flowing right through this guys arena. He has lost about 50 feet of his river boundary and the course has changed and is now eating it away faster. Its going to be a long XMas week.

On a side note.....While we were helping this morning, the boy and I had the opportunity to put our swan calling technique into action. We had a flyover by 3 Tundra's looking for a place to land. After they saw all of the people in the park, they slipped quietly away heading for the golf course.

9. tshuntin

tshuntin Elite Refuge Member

Marty, how are things in Bloomington?

10. BBFlinger

Really wet. All I have heard from there is that a few sheds have been damaged and some golf course geese have been displaced.

You have relatives here?