Great morning!!

Waterproof

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I just wanted to post up here and do some bragging about our morning hunt. Went to our lease and ended up with 6 mallards, 3 Widgeons, 2 Teal, 1 Shoveler, and one awesome but very dead goose. From the looks of the numbers of widgeon we saw this morning I would have to say that the migration is definetly on.

W

Whistlin Wings Adventures

Had a pretty decent morning ourselves, shot 5 mallards and two "Hollywoods" Had a big fencline argument with a animal rights activist neighbor about being cruel sending my dog in that ice cold water, I kept my professional style, well a lil'bit, I told him without to many bad words to mind his own buisness! Besides that pretty good morning to be out, saw ALOT of ringneck or some other diver that was away to fast for my aging eyes to focus on :D Had about 120 snows look at us from 120 yards up, they weren't in a hurry I think if it'd been a canada spread they may have worked. Saw alot of canada's, several looked like new birds. only thing that sucked was keeping the hole open if we could have made a bigger hole we'd done better maybe this wind will open it or atleast keep open what we broke.

wkochevar

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
As postecd on another thread, filled the limit in 15 minutes this morning( 4 greenheads, 1 bull sprig, and 1 widgeon drake, and oh yah, 1 Ross'). Absolutely awesome morning. Lots of Sandhills in the area as well but couldn't get under them for a shot. i think it's gonna be good for a while yet if this weather breaks, the birds will hold. I'm really surprised at the number of snows just north of town. hope they stick around awhile.
Kip

Dr. Drake

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good job proof. I went out to fitz's and got 3 mallard drakes and a hen pinny this mornning but still waiting for more birds. but i'm glad to here its going good in ol' Colorado.

ColoDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
the ducks and geese are really really moved in out east of greeley all along the south platte, shot my limit of 4 drake mallards 1 drake widgeon and a really nice woodduck drake, got done early enough to go after the snows, shot 8 snows could/should have had more,

guys if you want to get into these snows i would try using a large canada spread with only a handfull of snow decoys, this is what worked for me, where i was hunting i noticed that the snows were really mixed in with the canadas both in the air and on the ground, i just called in the flocks of canadians and picked out my snows, its kind of tough to passed on the canadas that are right in your spread but heck ill shoot some snows anyday, cranes are also mixing in with the geese in the fields, winter wheat and alphalfa are the hot spots, also seeing a lot of specks, these are the first specks i have ever seen in Colorado, probly saw 200 of them throuh out the day yesturday,
Duk

RETREVR

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, after Saturday I am just happy to be alive. The road east was treacherous and took two hours instead of one. I bagged a few shovelers and a scaup and ten snows.
There were TONS of birds. It was tough to get them interested in my mallards when there were groups of fifty real birds grouped up elsewhere on the water.
I hunted a private pond in the afternoon that was mostly frozen.
My dog chased a cripple snow into the water and I had to go in after her.
I am very very lucky to be alive. I keep telling myself that when I think about my gun in the bottom of that dammed pond. I was hypothermic and I was alone.
I went out yesterday to try to recover my gun and pick up a few snows that were out on the ice.
Be carefull out there guys and go with a buddy.
Does anybody have a really big magnet I can borrow?

PucksnDucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dang!!! It sounds like eveyone had a great weekend!!!

Well except for Retrevr!! I'm glad you're ok dude.... Sorry to hear about your gun, but it could have been worse....

If you ever need someone to go with let me know..... You woulda probably still got wet and lost your gun... but I sure the hell coulda used a good laugh this weekend!! (just kidding) :l

later

roninrus1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
RETREVR,
Can't help ya today but I think I have a big magnet in Houston. If ya haven't found one by Xmas I'll look and if it's there bring it back. There is a place in Castle Rock that sells all different size magnets. They ain't cheap but cheaper than a new gun. Sorry, I don't have the website or phone #. :(

N

niteskies

Retrever

You might try a large treble snagging hook, the type used for snagging Salmon. If your gun has a shoulder strap one of the hook points should grap hold and let you pull it in. Even if there is no shoulder strap the hook may take a bite somewhere on the gun. If you try this you might want to get the largest snagging hooks you can find and even have a couple of them rigged to use at the same time. As long as you have a good idea where the gun is you have a good chance of getting it. Your biggest challange will be if the gun is laying perpendicular to the shore it will be a narrow target to find.

Good luck!

Wild-Wing

Reaction score
Retrevr,

Another thing you could try is to go to Home Depot. I think they have magnets used to keep cabinet doors closed. One won't work by itself, but 6 of them mounted to a piece of steel or aluminum could drag a gun up... Glad to hear your OK...