Great Opening Day

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by tallbuck, Oct 8, 2012.

1. tallbuck

tallbuck Refuge Member

With the low water this year I Headed out to a very different location after a few times of scouting... As I knew that the marshes were going to be packed on the opener. We were able to have 3 guys limit out by 10:30am!!! Saw tons and tons of birds, (more than I have ever seen on the opener). Birds worked well to the calls and also to the decoys...

Hope all of you all had a good opening day as well!
    Best of luck to all of you this season....Keep your head down and shoot straight!

Tallbuck

2. widgeon05

widgeon05 Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the success.

3. Love-to-hunt

Love-to-hunt Elite Refuge Member

Scouting pays off, congrats on the good hunt.

4. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

While the opener seemed to be one of the best in years the word seems to me that the birds got the message and aren't moving much. Sunday was very slow from what I hear and yesterday was just as bad.

A buddy and I managed to shoot 11 in four hours yesterday afternoon but those were about the only birds we shot at. Maybe missed three or four others but there were darn few birds moving anywhere.

Any other post opener reports?

5. Bret Wonnacott

Bret Wonnacott Elite Refuge Member

I got into Mallards last night.:) Birds were moving the whole time I was out. So were the Mosquitoes. I went out alone Like I do a lot. I shot a limit pretty fast. They just kept coming I think that hole could have been shot until dark. It was mostly mallards there were a few other thans too though.
    It is really fun not shooting sometimes just to see how many will land.