California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Great White-fronted Buffalo

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Specialbelly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

Saturdays last bird of the morning brought the bird I've been chasing for about a decade. Banded speck, banded as an adult in 2015. Stainless band, with nearly no visible wear. This being my 3 year old dogs first band retrieve and all on public made it for an even better memory. On the the next bucket list check!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd be interested to hear what the one bird you want to get is. After this I guess I'd say a Eurasian wigeon in prime plumage.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Congratulations
    After 12 years of trying I managed 3 of my bucket list birds last season. All prime birds and all mounted. Perfect sprigs my son and I doubled on, a bull shoveler, and I doubled on bull cans. Got a banded Canada goose this year. Any banded duck would be my next wish as I've never gotten a duck band.

3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

That's awesome. Congratulations.

I've been around a lot of dead specks and have never seen a band on one of em, definitely a white buffalo for me!

Sweatliner and DuckFan like this.
  4. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

My first one I've seen that wasn't through binos. All the others were Tules as well. I kinda didn't believe it when I saw it

Dan Mallia likes this.
  5. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

I thought this was about fat married white chicks... . I got a speck at Mendota 15–20 yrs ago that was banded In the Same place as yours

Specialbelly likes this.
  6. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

Congrats !! Been waiting one for a very long time, maybe next season.... Nice stack btw, especially on public ground !

7. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

thats a helluva a trophy. I have only ever seen one banded speck and a tule also after a lot of years hunting them. Stainless one to boot. Very cool!

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I have some pictures from way back of a bunch of blue collared specks in the fields we leased "after" the season. Bastages didn't show during the season...........:l
    And we checked A LOT of birds working the decoys....;)

laughing mallard likes this.
  9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I am jealous I have an Eurasian Widgeon now ,I want to shoot some Specks. I live in Eastern Nevada and I would love to hunt Specks one day in Cali.or Oregon but the guides seem very pricey.Can anyone steer me in the right direction for an affordable Speck hunt.Thanks ,Mike.

10. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Awesome! Congrats. I’ve never shot one. Have one Tule, but have never shot a banded speck.