California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Green - Dads bad luck

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Drifly, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

On Friday January 1st my wife and I drove to Utah to attend a family wedding and drop our youngest son off at college. (We are now empty nesters for the first time in 25 years). This gave me an opportunity to get in one last hunt with my Son Brayden before we headed home on Wednesday. While my wife and I were attending the wedding Brayden and 2 buddies scouted a spot he had success at before he came home for Christmas. He was suppose to find a spot for us to hunt together on Tuesday and then come to the reception. At about 4:00PM I got a text from him that he found some birds and may be late.

Now I’ve heard this story before and have posted a few pictures of some of his hunts in the past. Dad I’ve found some mallards and we’re going to kill them together. He told me the same thing at Thanksgiving. He killed limits the day before I got there only for us to hunt hard together for 2 days and me not firing a shot.

At about 5pm he sends me this picture and tells me he’s not going to make it to the reception. I’m sorry Dad but we found the birds:

672AAB62-87C0-4733-8E90-1A7EEA10963A.jpeg
    21 Mallards with 2 bands

Now the rest of the story. Tuesday morning comes around so Brayden is really excited to get me on a good hunt. The goal was to do the same thing and kill a bunch of mallards. As luck would have it the birds spread out a little but there were still plenty around. We found a spot and kicked off about 100 Birds. We set up our small spread and waited for the birds to come back. At 4:00 we had 1 drake Mallard and 1 Drake Gadwall for 3 hunters. The Utah jinx hit me again. It seems like every time I hunted Utah this season I got skunked. He’s killed a lot of Drake Mallards this year while I’ve only killed a few. We joked around about my bad luck with him this year. We still had a great hunt together and I love hunting with him. One of these days I’ll get into some of those Utah Mallards with him.

I hope you all have a great end of your season.

Drifly

dl537, Calikev, Bullet21XD and 16 others like this.
  2. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

What a picture! The Mallard Whisperer :clap

3. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

FB8B65C7-7E3E-40D7-A211-75DA20E0B9F2.png What’s up with that band?

4. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Great pic, incredible hunt. To get dad on a awesome hunt, you need to put em to bed after the scout- not shoot em up. Lol.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Kinda selfish :flame

6. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu
    Just think how great that day will be, when he gets you on an all green hunt there.

Any hunt with you sun is special.... as you know. These ‘jinx’ hunts are just wetting your appetite. :tu

keep at it.

good luck

Sweatliner likes this.
  7. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Guessing shot hit it and opened it up. I have a couple like that.

8. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

Dewclaw removal botch.

9. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

If my son found the birds and blew them out before I got to hunt you know what I’d say to him? Great Job!!! Birds are funny and can pack up and leave town in a instant. Shoot em while you got em.

10. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Not if the goal is to put your dad on birds. Especially with a long drive, and a one day opportunity. Just my opinion. Yes, they do have wings- well aware of that.