California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Growing up

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Brottboss, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

image.jpeg Well, here we are at 20months old and just went thru our first heat starting yesterday. We've been told to wait to get her fixed after her first heat, which we will now move forward with.
    She's been such a good girl these last 20months. She didn't chew anything, get into any bad habits, just an all around great dog.
    This should be an interesting year for Mally, as she surprises me daily with her deep drive to please, her incredible nose, and her willingness to become good friends with my wife's cats.
    She's 50# solid as they get, with hind legs like posts and speed that I've never experienced before. Incredible speed up front and return speed like I've never seen before.
    As much as the family wants puppies, it's not gonna happen. She's a hunter and will be a huge component of the blind this year.

2. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Very nice post

Brottboss likes this.
  3. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

Great post about a great dog!

About a month ago we had to put down the best Lab we ever had. Her name was Jill and she lived to be 15 years and 7 months old.
    [​IMG]Jill s first day home _0003 by , on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1867 by , on Flickr

Hopefully you will have many years of fun and love with Molly!

dl537, Il. MudDuk, Birdcrazy and 11 others like this.
  4. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Love the old labs so much.
    Not just a pet but family.
    RIP Jill

derbyacresbob likes this.
  5. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Molly is a great looking dog and Jill as well. Blink of an eye between the pup picture and the old gal. We all enjoy them for the small window we have.

Brottboss and derbyacresbob like this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

That first heat thing is an old school wives tail, there are studies that show waiting until the first heat doesn't do anything at all and could actually put the dogs at higher risks than having it done before the first heat. Either way having them fixed is much safer than not having them fixed.:yes:tu

Brottboss likes this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

There are studies both ways about doing spay before or after first heat. Good looking pup.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Many recommend for female puppies to be spayed before their first heat, which can occur as early as 5 months of age. However, there is increasing evidence that this is too young as the dogs have not been allowed to fully develop and grow.
    https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/spaying-and-neutering-your-dog-faqs/

When I got Tarna, 11 years ago, it was recommended to wait till after the first heat.
    I just got Talena, and my reading was the current thinking is wait till after the 2nd heat. I talked to my vet about this, and they said they are also recommending after the 2nd heat.
    Opinions vary.

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I attended a weeklong Veterinary medicine conference in LV this year so my wife could keep her RVT certification up to date. Western Veterinary Medicine put it on, it was 8 to 10 hours a day for 7 days. I didn't sit through all of that but I did sit through a few classes with the top Vet's in the nation. Not one of them recommended waiting one heat let alone two heat cycles, the newest recommendation is getting them done before the first heat reduces the chance of them getting mammary or cervical cancer by up to 60%.

While I was there I drank beer's with Jack Hanna one night, talk about an awesome guy, it was funny he always had this big black dude with him. I said it must be tough being so popular that you need a body guard, he laughed and said it wasn't because of his popularity. He said it was to keep all the crazy PETA types away from him I guess he's had people make death threats against him, people are so f'd up.

Brottboss and Flyfisher like this.
  10. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

24 months or later if I was to.
    OFA doesn’t give orthopedic evaluations until then because they aren’t fully developed until then. I wouldn’t want altering pup early to alter their development. But if you aren’t concerned with that sort of thing, weigh the potential for all risks and do what you think is best.

A lot of reputable breeders aren’t guaranteeing hips if spayed or neutered prior to 24 months.
    Willow’s hips scored excellent.
    People don’t typically have hips evaluated on spayed/neutered dogs unless there is a problem so not a lot to study there, but the claims about growth plates not closing prior to then and that hormones play a role in growth makes sense to me.