Guides in NoDak

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Leasing will kill the hunting up there. Can you imagine everything is leased and you're stuck hunting your farm and cant move with the birds? That's what it's like down here. Actually here you dont get the whole farm, you get one field, one slough etc.
I've had a few farmers over the years ask for money to hunt, we politely decline and move on. I've also had farmers say they wont lease, saying one outfitter will tie up huge amounts of land and it will kill the local businesses because nobody can hunt the area.

It already is killing the hunting in North Dakota and has been for years. From what I hear if is not leased up yet it is all now posted. Twenty years ago it was easy to get on land. And you got guides like our buddy in Devils Lake who has tens of thousands of acres leased and people paying him $600 day to hunt with him. I bet you probably cannot get on a field within 10 miles of Devils Lake.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'd had the urge to go to ND for a decade. I finally decided to go...alone, a little over a dozen years ago.
A year or so before going, I went to several ND sites and tried to establish a few contacts via PMs. I also asked some acquaintances that regularly went for a bit of advice. I wasn't asking to be squired around, put up in your house, or shown personal honey holes, just simple information. For the most part, I received blank stares.
The dog and I went anyway. I found that people in restaurants and bars were about as helpful as my internet contacts. So were stops to purchase unneeded shells, etc, at local shops. My only friend was the PLOTS booklet. The first trip was interesting, but pretty much unproductive, but I realized that going alone was a challenge.
The second trip, I'd lined up a another guy to go and couple of contacts, but all fell through for one reason or another. I once again received the blank stare in bars, restaurants, gas stations, and local sporting goods stores. Once again, PLOTS was it.
On both trips, it was rare to see another hunter, except for locals (ND plates) shooting directly from the road, which I encountered several times each trip.
I must say the highlight of both trips were my stops at the Terry Redlin Art Center, in SOUTH DAKOTA.

This is one of the few times I've commented or viewed the ND site in probably a half dozen years, so maybe the people and tone has changed. But, from what I experienced, if someone asked me about going to ND, I'd have to tell them if they are determined to go to ND to hire a guide if they can afford it, because you sure aren't going to get even a modicum of help from anyone from ND.

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Odd. I can say I've had pretty good luck with the locals out in ND. Granted I didn't try to find any out prior to getting out there. The beauty of ND and Canada is the ability to drive around, find ducks, find owner of property and get permission. Does it work like that every time, nope, but a goodly portion of the time it does. If you want to be successful at killing fowl on a daily basis, you best be spending more time scouting than you are hunting.

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Odd. I can say I've had pretty good luck with the locals out in ND. Granted I didn't try to find any out prior to getting out there. The beauty of ND and Canada is the ability to drive around, find ducks, find owner of property and get permission. Does it work like that every time, nope, but a goodly portion of the time it does. If you want to be successful at killing fowl on a daily basis, you best be spending more time scouting than you are hunting.
The last time I hunted ND was 2014 and I did not have much problem getting on land. That said I was in an area not usually mentioned ont he internet. But I noticed the last three or four years now it gets mentioned alot so my guess is it is all posted now and much harder to get on land.

The location obviously plays a roll if you are not in the heavlily mentioned areas your chances are better but those are becoming fewer by the year.

Alldrakes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It already is killing the hunting in North Dakota and has been for years. From what I hear if is not leased up yet it is all now posted. Twenty years ago it was easy to get on land. And you got guides like our buddy in Devils Lake who has tens of thousands of acres leased and people paying him $600 day to hunt with him. I bet you probably cannot get on a field within 10 miles of Devils Lake.
Try 20 miles !!

PorkChop

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd to me as well. I will 100% acknowledge that on Nodak outdoors I definitely gave plenty of non-residents a hard time but with that being said I helped everybody that private messaged me to the best of my ability. Even some way more than they asked for. I gave guys town names and street locations of fields that had birds.

Over the years I can safely say that 98% of the people that I helped never said thank you. I will also admit that these days I am a bit tighter with the information because my kids are my priority now and making sure they have a good hunts comes first.

zoops

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'd had the urge to go to ND for a decade. I finally decided to go...alone, a little over a dozen years ago.
A year or so before going, I went to several ND sites and tried to establish a few contacts via PMs. I also asked some acquaintances that regularly went for a bit of advice. I wasn't asking to be squired around, put up in your house, or shown personal honey holes, just simple information. For the most part, I received blank stares.
The dog and I went anyway. I found that people in restaurants and bars were about as helpful as my internet contacts. So were stops to purchase unneeded shells, etc, at local shops. My only friend was the PLOTS booklet. The first trip was interesting, but pretty much unproductive, but I realized that going alone was a challenge.
The second trip, I'd lined up a another guy to go and couple of contacts, but all fell through for one reason or another. I once again received the blank stare in bars, restaurants, gas stations, and local sporting goods stores. Once again, PLOTS was it.
On both trips, it was rare to see another hunter, except for locals (ND plates) shooting directly from the road, which I encountered several times each trip.
I must say the highlight of both trips were my stops at the Terry Redlin Art Center, in SOUTH DAKOTA.

This is one of the few times I've commented or viewed the ND site in probably a half dozen years, so maybe the people and tone has changed. But, from what I experienced, if someone asked me about going to ND, I'd have to tell them if they are determined to go to ND to hire a guide if they can afford it, because you sure aren't going to get even a modicum of help from anyone from ND.
How do you define 'help?' Giving a person town locations, lodging recommendations, direct access to land? Tactics? Timing of the trip? What to expect for terrain, weather, competition? I guess I'm just wondering what you were expecting to get from people on the internet. Most of the general information is here if you search a bit - I know I've given much of that advice before on here for everyone to see. Of course it's not easy going to a new place and you need to expect to have a learning curve. If I'm going to set out and try a new area I'd expect to take my lumps along the way.

But yes, ND is not the untapped resource it once was. It used to be rare to be denied access to waterfowl hunt; now it seems to be the norm. It's rare to find a concentration of birds that aren't already being chased by someone anymore. The guiding/leasing thing will only increase as competition increases.

Ratboy

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I gave guys town names and street locations of fields that had birds.
@PorkChop you told me the wrong rockpile in that field though! :yes For the 25 years I have been going, the last 10 have been with my kids trying hard to get them on some good hunts. It is hunting though and not every day works out the way you hope. Definitely is a lot more pressure the last few years too, but it is what it is.

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd to me as well. I will 100% acknowledge that on Nodak outdoors I definitely gave plenty of non-residents a hard time but with that being said I helped everybody that private messaged me to the best of my ability. Even some way more than they asked for. I gave guys town names and street locations of fields that had birds.

Over the years I can safely say that 98% of the people that I helped never said thank you. I will also admit that these days I am a bit tighter with the information because my kids are my priority now and making sure they have a good hunts comes first.
That is such bs on their part. I got info from a guy on that board in 2003 first year i ever went to ND cause i did not get drawn in SD. I emailed him cause i was in a town he had hunted and i just got there. He said to email him for info on ND site.. Now there were not many ducks on the sloughs he mentioned but a flooded pasture next store was loaded with like 3000 birds just over the fence. Got permission and two man limits two days in a row before we left. I thanked him and asked for his address so i could send him a gift. He said no but thanked me for offering. I never ever mentioned this spot to anyone but i am sure it likely dried up. Point being take care of people and thank them. Sadly people learned most you help dont seem to appreciate it and and just screw it up.

I found a great spot this november i limited out on twice on two hunts. Public land. But i cant share it these days or it would have 100 people the next day. Even alot of people i know i wont tell cause they will likely go and than blab it on facebook or the net . Only my dad and his friend know and they are over 70 so i trust them. They arent hunting this spot even with me. To hard for them. Oh my wife knows also though she could care less about it or my hunting.

Latest posts