Had some fun with Mom's old 20 ga. Savage Fox last night

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Nov 14, 2020.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Back in the late 60's or early 70's my Pop bought this Savage Fox Mod. B for my Mom :) He wanted to teach her to shoot and take her hunting with him. She went hunting but never did shoot, enjoying sitting in the blind drinking coffee instead. I shot it when I first started hunting with lead shot, but it were retired with the onset of steel, and except for the occasional outing in the squirrel woods, or for pheasant, grouse, and partridge out here in NoDak, it stayed home.
    Loading the ITX-10 and bismuth gave the old gal new life, however, and I've taken it a couple times this season. Shot one goose with it earlier in the year, and last evening I took it for duck. I had some 3/4 oz. loads of ITX-10 4's that I shot through it. Bagged three green- heads and missed a couple, too. Fun hunting with the old girl.
    IMG_E0214.jpg

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

3. Conewago duck'n

Conewago duck'n Senior Refuge Member

It's nice taking the ones with memories out to the field now and again. Grandpa's LC Smith and Dad's Steven's find their way out with me when the mood strikes.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Had a Savage Fox BSE 12 mod/full 28" and same gun in 20 but imp cyl/ mod 26". Bought them both in mid to late 70,s . Great guns for their price and folded many a duck & quail with them back then. That 12 was a slayer with the 2 3/4" hand loaded lead 5,s I shot on ducks back then. Sold both some where along the line and bought o/u,s. Last doubles I owned. Still miss them every now & then.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Shot a ton of steel through my circa '70s B-series Savage Fox 20 without incident, albeit choked IC/MOD.

6. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

This one is modified/ full. Could probably shoot it through there with no trouble, but no need with bismuth or ITX-10.

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

My first shotgun 42 years ago was a BSE 20ga.....I’ve hunted EVERYTHING with that thing.....it’s killed tons of all sorts of ducks, geese, dove, quail, pheasant, rabbits, squirrels, deer, even rio and eastern turkeys. It’s the ‘luckiest’ gun I own. LOL

8. SoDakHorizon

SoDakHorizon Refuge Member

Very nice!